was fine. A few days later, I developed another roll, for the exact

right time and temp. The developer was only used once, so I don't know

how my whole roll came out so underdeveloped. I'm sure I exposed the

film right. Is there any test that I could do before processing

another roll to see what I need to do to it? Should I just increase

developing time every time I put another roll through? I don't want to

ruin another roll. Could I process the leader somehow and use those

results? Thanks for your help.

Nicole... Could you clarify what you mean by "only used once"? Did you pour back the used developer into the liter/gallon/quart (whatever quantity you mixed) or did you save the portion used once and use it again? It's hard to start troubleshooting with so many loose ends on the info. Let us know....

I put the used developer back into the larger container of developer. i didn't think it was a problem, because in my college campus's darkroom, you could process up to 20 rolls before it started to not work.

Nicole, most developers are best used as one shot developers. However, you can reuse the developer if you do it right away. Many, many years ago I used to develop all the B&W film for a local real estate magazine. I would develope 32 rolls at a time. This involved developing 16 rolls at a time in 2 Patterson 8-reel tanks. I would then reuse that developer for my next batch of 16 rolls which I added about 20% more time. I would then discard the used developer. But for small batch developing, I would definately do everything as a one shot deal. If I was you, I would dump the mixed developer you have now and start over with fresh stuff.

"liquid- ilford ilfosol s...and the back of the bottle says to only use once. go me! thanks guys"

You can use Ilfosol 1+9 twice but you need to increase the dev time by 10% or more for the second batch. Having said that for best results use only once.

Also don't mix the whole bottle. Just mix what you need when you need. Once dilluted the developer will quickly go off. Mix, use and throw away.

There's loads of PDF files on film, paper and chemicals on the ilford site at www.ilford.com Well worth printing em out and having a wee read.

Keep at it, you'll get there soon! Have fun.