How I kept my film cool in a hot parked car

This is a tip for those of you worried about leaving your film to

roast in a parked car.

On my day hikes in the southwest last year, I would only take with me

the rolls of film I thought I needed. The rest I would put in a

ziplock bag. I would then wrap it with a very wet t-shirt and leave it

in the car. The bag and film seemed to remain remarkably cool to the

touch compared to everything else in the car.

You also can't beat an insulated cool bag with a couple of freezer blocks. It also keeps

your sandwiches fresh. I also mark with a CD pen sheet film or roll film, so when some

goes back into the fridge unused, I know it's been out before so it gets used first next

time.

Summer or Winter, I carry film in a small plastic cooler. No coolant added, just rely on the insulation. And the min / max therometer says it works. Plus it's so convenient.

I also have an assortment of various sized coolers to carry camera gear. They keep things out of sight of thieving eyes. And about the cheapest container you can find.

Yesterday, I had three coolers in my van. One for film. One carries my Bronica system bag. One carries my ContaxG system bag.

Today, I only had two. One for film and another that carries my Mamiya 7 system.

Oh, I sometimes carry another cooler. One loaded with ice and water to drink.

Film just isn't affected by heat as much today as in the past. Do you really think the UPS trucks from the mfg to the camera stores are a/c'd? Or from the store to your front door if you mail order? Have any of you ever tested a roll to see if there is a difference? You're risking condensation by taking film in and out of cool to heat.

The trunk of a car is much cooler than the passenger compartment, which absorbs and retains heat just like a greenhouse. So if your vehicle has a separate trunk, you can keep film there without worry. OK, I don't know how it would fare in Death Valley in the middle of the summer, but in most situations, the trunk will be fine.

• 4 weeks later...
To Leonard: I agree that film should be able to take most temperatures that it's exposed to. But after the first day of hiking in Zion, I came back to my car, and my stick of deodarant in my back seat had melted completely into a puddle. And it was the solid type. I just didn't feel right after that, to leave my film exposed to those temperatures for the next eight days.