Portrait Lens for 20D

franciscodiaz1

When you say "portrait", I asume you mean head-and-shoulder-shots. For that you will need a fast prime in the range of 50mm to 135mm.

I have the Canon 50mm f1,4 (520$) which I like a lot. But you could also get the 50mm f1,8 (140$), 85mm f1,8(570$), 100mm f2,0 (780$) or 135mm f2,0 L (1650$).

135mm will give you a more blurry background than 50mm, but it will also make the face look a little more flat.

You can see pictures taken with the different lenses here (scroll down to the bottom and click on one of the lenses):

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon

And you can find reviews here:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-primes/PLS_3111crx.aspx

For head or head-and-shoulder portraits, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, or even 85/1.2 if you can afford.

I own the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.8 on a 10D. They're both very sharp from about f/2.4. The 85 feels more substantial and feels like it focuses faster.

It depends on the type of portrait (head & shoulders, 3/4, and full length) and the number of people in it. I use the Canon 50mm 1.4 and the 24-70 2.8L lenses. These 2 lenses have covered every possibility for me. The 50mm is MUCH cheaper and lighter than the 24-70.

If budget is not a problem then the 85mm f1.2 is your lens.

I use the Zeiss 50 year Anniversary 85mm f1.2 and it produces beautiful photos. I understand the Canon version comes fairly close optically, but obviously has autofocus as well (and is cheaper and easier to find).

The gorgeous visual effect that such limited depth of field produces cannot be replicated with anything but a huge aperture lens.

It's bokeh heaven, and people will swoon at your photos ;-)

I have the 50mm f1.4 which I assumed would be a good portraite lens. However, I find this does not blur the background as well as an 85mm f1.8 on full frame so allow clearence from the background.

Alternatively the 85mm f1.8 would be a good choice. The 100mm f2.8 Macro works well for tight head shots and for small kids. For both these lenses you will need a lot of working room with adults.

All these are very sharp lenses so selective mask sharpening in post processing is to be recommended.

Francisco

I know that you have said budget is not a main problem, but despite this I would not overlook the 'bargain' canon 50mm 1.8 for portrait work on a 1.6x crop digital SLR. You may find this lens perfectly suitable for your needs.

Just a thought.

All the lenses that were mentioned above are great lenses but are better suited for full frame

of film cameras do the 50mm will be something like an 80mm..... thats telephoto already.

I own a EF35mm F2 which is great because I can be pretty close to the subject if you had a

50mm you will have to back-up and if you're indoors that might not be an option.

Peace!

I use the 17-40 for portraits, mostly somewhere in the middle. There is no such thing as a "portrait lens," lenses are distinguished by physical characteristics such as focal length, aperture, and other things like perspective control and fisheye. Any lens can be a "portrait lens," and thinking about it that way will probably make your portraits far more easy.

If you want to do classical headshots, for example, if you are doing z-cards for models or actors, then there are specific focal lengths that are probably useful. Otherwise, use anything and think about the things that matter in portraits, like the relationship between the subject and the background and the subject and the photographer.