From digital to film

Kodak actually does make a film designed for scanning, but it is an MP film. I am actually thinking of trying it though. It is called 5299, and it is process ECN-2. It doesn't have the orange mask and is a wide-latitude, low-contrast film that can be shot without filters and can be rated anywhere from 320 to 500. It is a bit grainy though.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

The funny thing is, back in the heyday of Rangefinders, Nikkors were the standard almost as soon as they became widely available. In the late 50's, photographers switched to Nikon glass for their screw-mount Leica's in droves.

Why? Cheaper and just as good glass.

Don't get me wrong, Leica glass is pretty damned good. But Nikon and Canon were Leica's equals in the late 50's and nothing's changd since then. The only real difference is that the Leica glass tends to have warmer colour rendition than Nikon or Canon glass. Pentax glass is their equal as well.

"The only real difference is that the Leica glass tends to have warmer colour rendition than Nikon or Canon glass."

I think it depends on the glass you're comparing. The Nikon ED glass color is very close to the Leica glass. The real difference is in contrast.

Leica will often trade-off absolute sharpness (MTF measurement) for better contrast because they feel that with real world subjects, the contrast between edges in a photo gives a better appearance to the image. I've tested my ED lenses and my Leica lenses on the same subjects, under the same lighting, and the Leica lenses do appear to have slightly better contrast.