Disregard - Any better to start 8x10 than Wisner?

scottelly

Sorry, I just came across the postings of people who've been getting

bad service from Ron Wisner. I think I'd be better off staying away

from Wisner products - part of my decision to go to 8x10 was that even

though I would be spending a few hundred dollars extra each year on

film and processing, I would have an investment that I could get close

to the entire cost back after a 3 to 5 year use (accounting for rising

prices, because of inflation, which would add up to about 15% over the

years).

I think I'll look into the Canham and Calumet cameras. Does anyone

have any other suggestions?

Scott-just bought a really nice Ansco 8x10 on Ebay for $500.Has ALL the movements AND 35inches of bellows. Arrived here just as the seller described. I might have paid about $75 too much but I already like it better than the Canham 8x10 I used to have. They are very finicky cameras. Kind of shifty. Alas MR. Canham is a great guy and gives top service. I recently saw some excelant buys on Ebay. One does NOT have to spend $1800 to get into 8x10 LF. Same goes for holders. Been buying up wooden holders for about $10/each. If one doesn't work I can use it for parts. Try that with the plastic ones. And they weigh 1/2 as much.

Good luck, Peter

Don't turn down a Wisner just because it's a Wisner and service is an issue. There are used Wisner cameras on the market and service and accessories can be acquired from people like Richard Ritter. Jim at Midwest Photo can get accessories and may have some in stock. Quality Camera has some Wisner brand accessories. Lens boards can be purchased through dealers(if they have them)or Mr. Ritter will make them. Heck, Jack Deardorff will probably make them for you. The Wisner factory seems to be in transition so new equipment is impossible to get. That doesn't mean that you can't have the camera at a good price. And they are a good camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody!

I'm still looking for an 8x10, but I think I'll buy a used one as many people suggest. I don't think I'll be using it much, because of the cost of the film, etc. Besides, I just got a Toyo 45cx to jump into large format. I'll use it for a while to see what this stuff is all about. I'm thinking I did the right thing, because I don't see a lot of choice in the 8x10 film world. No where near as much as in the 4x5 world anyway.

Once I've experimented with my 4x5 for a while, I'll be ready to choose my 8x10. Does anyone have any recommendations of lenses that I can buy for my 4x5 that will work on my 8x10 when I get it?