Travel photography Exhibit and Pricing

dhiren

I need some help with pricing my work for my first public show. This

is a solo exhibit and would be held in office where I work. We have

a show called ?Revolving art series? and this time, I am exhibiting

some of my travel photography work [india series].

Total number of images is 18 [9 portraits and 9 streetscapes of

Jodhpur and Bombay respectively]. Images would be printed on 12" x

18" on new Epson R2400, matted and framed and print quality would be

really good. Whatever I have read here, I am thinking more like

$1/sq. in. rate, since it?s not as mundane as flower photographs, I

feel travel photography should be rated higher.

Let me know if I am on right path, thanks in advance.

Dhiren

Open to the public? Discounts for photo.net members? :-)

Just kidding. I've been approached for something similar at a store, and have gotten all kinds of varying advice for pricing. Several friends etc.. have alluded to a production cost x 2 + any mark-up the store/gallery might have (frames seem to be the kicker cost-wise, and not sure how you'd quantify cost if you print your own work). Then there's the age-old business question of "price low and sell lots" vs. "price high & sell not so much". Or, even more confusing... price almost "too" high, and pique (sp) the interest of those special "true" art buffs that might not have been interested if your print had been el-cheapo or if it had lacked an edition number etc... I'm looking to go on what I think is the lower side & hope to go for quantity (probably around $175 for the size you mentioned. My frame & print cost is around $70 & I'm guessing on 20% for the host-store. We'll see). Let me know what you come up with, I'd love to know how that compares.

p.s., be VERY aware that anything you ever sell is only worth what someone pays for it. In other words, you may not have any spot in your heart at all for "flower" shots, but that may be exactly what opens the wallet of many people. I agree with you that travel is (for me) a category of much more interest, but you have to think about what someone might want to hang on their wall & realize that it might not be a portrait or a street scene. Who knows? Best of luck!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen many ways of doing it, having visited dozens of photo galleries before opening my own over 20 years ago. I sign mine on the right, on the print, in a fine tip silver pen, or gold if it blends in better. I title it on the left, and as most are limited editions, I put the number right in the middle. If they change the mat 50 years from now from damage it rec'd, the name is still on it. Most of the time it is hard to see my signature, and that's fine. If someone wants to see it bad enough, they will move their head around to see it reflect it. Love Jodhpur by the way. Good luck with all.

PS If you charge too little, folks will think it is of no value. They have the money for whatever they find of value. If you wanted something bad enough, did you not fine the way to afford it?