Bulk loading sucks!

okay, i don't want to be ms. naysayer, but what gives? geez, i'm all set up for bulk loading,

got my agfa 100 px (not exactly cheap) and bulk loader (ap bobinquick) and the dag gone

thing doesn't work! is it me? it's taking so long, my hands are getting sweaty and making

the film sticky. i can't get the dang film to go through the slot which puts it to the spool.

what am i doing wrong? or should i have bought the lloyd or the weston? i cant stand the

unpleasantness of what i'm going through. please help!

First, Regina, relax! Dry off your hands and have a glass of wine. Loading up the first and second times can be stressful. My suggestion is cut off a 1 foot peice of film, or use a junk roll, from the spool and practice with that in the light. Feed it through several times until you can do it with your eyes closed. You'll get the hang of it. I've never used the model you are using, but they can't be that much different. It's just like loading the metal spools the first few times. Practice, practice, practice. Good luck!

Regina:

I second Michael's recomandation of a glass of wine and loading in the light with a scrap piece of film.

One "gotcha" that usually tripps me up is that I forget that I have to insert the removeable winding crank when feeding the leading edge of a new bulk rool of film.

Enjoy the wine and good luck.

Yes this drove me crazy the first few times but once you get the hang of it you'll fly. Is the AP loader the type with a needle indicator and a little handle that you attatch to open the gate. If it is then we're speaking the same lingo.

Anyway, what I do goes as follows:

1. Arrange everything neatly so you dont get confused.

2. Remove the round door on the loader and insert the handle to open the gate.

3. In the dark, open the film can and remove the film roll. Place the can out of the way

4. Reach in the bag and remove the piece of tape holding down the leader.

5. pull out about 10 inches of film but keep the whole roll in the light proof bag to prevent it from unfurling into a huge messy nightmare. Might be worth using a rubber band on the oustide of the bag as a safety measure.

6. With 10 odd inches you have plenty of freedom to fiddle. Take the leader in your right hand, thumb on the emulsion side (dont insert it emulsion out). Hold the loader in your left hand (awkward) and grasp the little winding knob (not the removeable handle) with your left thumb and index finger.

7. Slide the leader into the gate while turning the little knob. The gears will catch and pull the leader through the gate. Wind on a little (not too much though)

8. Remove the gate handle which will close the gate and catch the leader in the correct place freeing you to use both hands for loading the film roll. The closed gate will prevent the leader accidentally falling out which is most frustrating.

9. Remove the rubber band (if you use one) and tighten the roll. Reach in the bag and gently remove it taking great care to avoid a catastrophic unfurl. Gently take up the 8 odd inches of slack and very carefully mate the roll with the spoke in the loader. Drop it in and gently tighten the film roll.

10. Close the bulk loader and voila.

It might be worth tossing the first 12 inches of film as it may well be contaminated with sweaty finger prints. Lint free gloves are great for loading btw.

I periodically ask my local minilab to save a days worth of used canisters. Their Fuji processor leaves roughly 1.5cm of film on the canister. This is plenty to re attach. I use the crystal clear 3m sticky tape which is super strong.

I use 4 small pieces of tape per film. First I attach a piece to the glossy side of the exposed minilab canister film.Then I carefully line this up witht he leader emerging from the bulk roll. 2nd bit of 3m goes on the emulsion side then I wrap a piece around the each edge to prevent the join catching in the cannister felt.

Clear 3M is super strong. Never use any kind of masking tape, the glue can transfer to the emulsion and make a real mess of the felt, your camera and the film. Clear 3m is the best I've found.

But before trying this take the advice in a post above mine, cut 10-12 inches off the roll and practice in daylight and carry on until you can do it with your eyes closed.

I race through the process, it's easy and bulk load saves me a fortune.

A Japanese friend sends me Neopan 1600 which costs all of 16 uk pounds per roll. Less than a pound a roll which sure beats 5odd over the counter. I buy my bulk Tri-X (in bulk) at B&H when in new york or ask friends to bring it back.

$29.95 for 18-19 rolls, can't beat that huh.

Oh and always ensure you don't expose too much film after loading a roll or you'll consistently loose the last shot.

I've learnt to shoot blanks until frame 0 or 1 and try to avoid the last frame on Bulk load. Keeps things neat and besides there is hardly any point in trying to squeeze that extra frame onto a roll given the low cost.

Have fun.

I have been winding film for 50 years. No other way to go if you are cheap. I like Watson loaders. Don`t buy an old used black from the `60`s unless you want to modify it.

The only problem is there is an exposed tail I sometimes make a picture on, usually 38 or 39.

A neighbor who ran a wedding business bought 100 foot rolls of Plus X by the case. His work was the envy of every wedding photog in the area.

I bulk load in the dark, so I don't have to worry about the tail being exposed.

BUT!

I've also found that bulk loaded film doesn't pay out properly in my Horizon 202 panorama camera, because of the contorted film path...

I bulk load alot. Not even using a loader, I just do it in a walking closet. It took me a few rolls to get used to it. So it's not a big deal. Try to get some exposed film to practice in the light. Or, give me that glass of wine and I will load them for you.