A good, but cheap macro lens to a canon 300d ;)

khaf

Hi,

I would love to get a macro lens. I've been looking at some sigmas,

but I'm pretty confused. Can someone recommend a lens that's not too

expensive, as long as the image-quality is pretty descent?

Thanks in advance :)

K..

My wife has the Adaptol Tamron 90mm f2.5 (for Pentax) and it has been a beautiful lens in her hands. She has actually won some highly competitive nature photography contests (State of Minnesota) from images taken using this lens. I think she got it used for something like $125 about 4 years ago.

As with non-macro, the macro lens you will need depends on the type of macro you want to do. they can range from 20 to 200mm. With the 300D, you may found the range between 50 to 100mm easy to work with. You can get great macro quality at low cost if you use the older manual focus lens with adapter. However, it won't work well for subject that moves fast (too little time to stop down or re-focus).

Example good low cost AF macro are:

- EF50/f2.5 <$200 used 1:2 Only.

- Sigma 50/2.8 <$200 If buy used, make sure you get one that works with 300D. There are some that is good for film EOS only.

- Sigma 90/2.8 macro <$200 (same as 50, compatibility problem)

Good MF Macro are

Many...

Nikon 55/3.5 with adaptor

Kiron 105/2.8

Tokina 90/2.8

For starter, I would think the EF50/2.5 is a good one.

Hope these help

MIchael's right - the Tamron Adaptall-EOS mount was only available for a short time, and is very rare and expensive (3-digit prices) to come across used. It seems the general advice is to use an Adaptall-M42 adapter on the lens and then mount an M42-EOS adapter.<p>The cheapie Vivitar-Phoenix-Cosina 100mm/3.5 macro lens is an inexpensive alternative which offers surprisingly good results. You can sometimes find them on eBay for less than $100.

I'll second the low cost Cosina/Vivitar/Phoenix 100mm f/3.5 Macro. Looks & feels cheap, has slow autofocus, needs the included adapter to get to lifesize, but it is sharp & does take good pictures. Probably the best buy in low end real macro lenses.

You folks seem to be forgetting that the 50mm canon only goes up to 1/2 life size (without the costly adapter.) If you're going for quality and versatility on a budget the 50mm sigma would probably be your best bet (1:1 magnification out of the box.) Slow and noisy AF, but you don't use AF with macro very often anyway.

I have a 300D and I use a Nikkor AIS 105mm micro lens with an adapter. Works like a champ and the optical quality of the Nikkor is first rate. I paid $28 for the adapter. It doesn't autofocus but like the man said, AF is of dubious value with macro work anyway.