What mechanical SLR to buy?

richard_s1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many good choices that it boggles the mind. Let me help you prioritize:

If the size and weight are quite important the best choices are:

The Olympus OM-1n, Pentax MX, and Nikon FM2n or FM.

If cost alot below $400 is more important than size and weight:

Any Minolta SRT or Canon FTbn or TX or Nikkormat FTn or FT2 or any Pentax Spotmatic

If Pro-class features and ruggedness are more important than size and weight, Canon F-1 or Nikon F2 (especially the F2A)

We all have our own favorites from the list above. But I strongly would suggest that you go to a camera show or shop with great used inventory and handle a bunch of these, to see which one seems to hit the spot for you.

BTW, All of these brands made outstanding lenses in this era - especially their fast primes, which might arguably be better than the current lenses from the same companies. Nowadays, only the zoom lenses and fast super-wides with aspherical elements can consistently be shown to be better than these older manual focus primes.

A minolta x300.bright viewfinder..excellent results..great deal of lenses on the market s/h...35mm..i dont think any camera on the market can beat this camera for pure image making ..if interested i have 1 for sale with 3 lenses......

I saw a F2a at the same store I saw an FM2n at. I like how the F2 would feel without a meter, but I want a meter, so I'm taking the F2 off my list.

It's not important that it cost a lot less than $400, just that it not cost much more.

I found it surprising, Douglas, that you said get he F-1 for pro class features but the FM2n for size and weight. What features does the F-1 have that the FM2n doesn't? Size and weight is an issue, but I get the feeling that there is no old SLR that's too big for my needs (but a ton of modern day SLR's that are).

Richard,

A Canon F-1 has interchangeable viewfinders, interchangeable backs, and faster motor drive available than a Nikon FM2n. Those are pro features - especially useful is the interchangeable viewfinders that retain metering.

And a Nikon F2A also DOES have a meter - the F2A Photomic meter head is the same as the basic F2 Photomic, except it uses the newer AI meter coupling interface that the later Nikon manual focus cameras use, rather than the old F-prong.

I know the F2A has a meter, what I was saying is I like the F2A without the meter (as far as body lines are concerned), making an F2, but that doesn't have a meter (i.e. F2 doesn't have a meter, and F2A meter is too bulky...I know its not much, but I handled one, and didn't like it because of the meter). Does the FM2N not have interchangeable viewfinders at all, or does it just have less available than the F-1? As far as reliability/durability, the FM2N is pro quality, right?

Thanks for all your help guys,

Richard

Richard:

I have either owned or currently own a number of great all mechanical cameras. From Linhof to Leica & Nikon - I heartily suggest either a Nikon F3 w/a 50 1.8 or a Nikkormat FTN with a 50 & a 105 for way less than 400.

The Nikkormat needs batteries for the metering but will work without them - a great solid camera that is built like a tank. Also consider a Nikon F or if you want to go rangefinder style try a Bessa.

Good Luck!

Go to www.Nikonians.org they have a side by side comprehensive comparison of the manual film cameras. Also go to www.nikonlinks.com and you can look up a whole encylopedia of Nikon info on cameras, lenses accessories etc. in a vast database and reviews, its endless fun learning for Nikon users. I personally like the F3 or the fm2n and you won't find a bad word written about either. Nikon gear is easy to find add to and great with flash. The FM2n sync at 1/250 sec.

A while back I wrote a short review of the Nikon FM2n, favorably contrasting it with the F2AS that I also own: http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/cameras/film-cameras/35mm/nikon/PRD_84037_3105crx.aspx. (It's the second review down, by "coyneholum".) You'll note that the only professional features that the FM2n lacks are the interchangeable viewfinder and the 100% view through the viewfinder. (The view seen through the FM2n is 93%, the same as almost all other SLRs. SLRs with 100% viewfinders are extremely rare.) On the plus side, the FM2n has flash synch of 1/250, while the F2 is 1/60 making fill flash difficult. To be fair, the FM2n is not built to the same level of solidity & toughness as the F2, but again, very few SLRs are. As I wrote in the review, that's the charm of the FM2n: it's small, light, quick and unobtrusive, although still durable and very strongly built. A lot of pros use the FM2n, and not just as a backup.

Nikon FM2n is small, light in weight but very rugged and reliable. Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AI

lens is as sharp as you could ask for and is just as rugged and reliable. Batteries are cheap

and easy to find at the corner drugstore. The meter is very, very accurate, reliable and easy

to read. Any competent camera repair person can service this camera and parts are readily

available.

You want something really different? Maybe a Contaflex Super B. They are cheap - about $50 - $75 with a 50mm Tessar. The only problem is that only a few folks service them. Mine was overhaued by WW Umbach and it works perfectly. So, $50 for the camera and $150 for a thorough overhaul.

Possible drawback: the mirror does not return until you advvance the film; the selenium light meter may not be accurate or even work (though mine is fine even for slide film in bright light); fastest shutter speed is 500; a lot of lenses for sale have separated elements, particularly the 85mm.

Pluses: build quality; flash sync at all speeds; nice lenses, if you like the Tessar look; really cheap - you should be able to add the 35mm, 85mm, and 115mm and still keep within your budget.

Robert

Richard, I don't believe anyone who tells me that they don't think size or weight are that much of an issue. A Nikon F2A or Canon F-1 are ALOT bigger, bulkier, and heavier than an Olympus OM-1n, Pentax MX, or even a Nikon FM2n. The difference is rather major.

I certainly think that your choice would best be made between the cameras I listed in the group where size and weight are important - unless you can really explain why you'd need either interchangeable finders or backs.

and, btw, in my life, I've never missed having shutter speeds faster than 1/1000 of a second on any camera. It is an extremely insignificant feature, so I think you'd be well served with either a Pentax MX, Olympus OM-1n. But, since you care about it, and it's best to buy into a live family of lenses, you certainly wouldn't do bad with a Nikon in the FM family like an FM2 or FM2n.

BTW, there's a really nice clean black FM2 (NOT FM2n, so it only has a 1/200 sync speed) on ebay right now with a Buy Now of $150+ shipping, with an e-series 50mm lens. If I were you, I'd be all over this:

item=7523293829

Yeah, I hear you on the size and weight. I thought about it some more and decided on an FM2n. Thanks for the tip on the ebay one. It'll have to wait until wednesday when I have the funds (paycheck doesn't come until Tuesday, and I'm a college student so...savings?...what savings?). I saw one here on photo.net described as mint minus (minus because of one nick, I got pictures) for $250. No lens, and this ebay one doesn't look any worse than mint minus...I'll have to ask the seller some questions, since this would save me $100. Granted the ebay one isn't an N, but is there any difference other than a different synch speed (my Canon 10D is 1/200, and that doesn't bother me). Is there any difference other than looks and material between the aluminum shutter and honeycomb titanium shutter (i.e. is one better than the other)?

On the max shutter speed, I found not being able to get near wide open on my Kiev with a max speed of 1/1250 to be aggravating, which is why I want faster than 1/1000.

Thanks,

Richard

For $400 you can get a Minolta SRT and a bag full of fantastic lenses. For more info visit www.rokkorfiles.com.

The only drawback is that you might never be able to use these lenses on a DSLR. If you invest in Pentax lenses that's not an issue.

In my opinion Nikon, Canon and Olympus lenses and cameras of that vintage are too expensive for what they are when compared to Minolta and Pentax, but YMMV.

I just bought an OM-3, mostly because I have some OM lenses already, but it's a fantastic camera and there are so many high quality, compact lenses available for it.

On the other hand, a new or almost new FM3A is a great alternative. New Nikkors are not much more expensive than second hand Zuikos, and sometimes even cheaper.

Both are fantastic cameras. Hard decision.

Richard, I hear you on the 'not being able to use the lens wide-open' comment, but a neutral density filter will sort that out. The suggestions above are all good from what I can see, but the handling between these makes and models is very different. Better to lay your hands on a few if possible, and let your heart dictate your wallet. I am an OM-1 user (and love it), but have also tried out a Nikon FG and found it quite light even though it's larger than the Olympus. OTOH, the Olympus is light, small, and solid - mostly metal/mechanical, but a lot of other cameras are partly or mostly plastic. Anyway, the 1/1000 top speed of the OM-1 was never a problem as I kept a few ND filters with me...

Oh, and I do use my Olympus lenses on my 10D dSLR, via an adapter. Nikon lenses also have an adapter available for putting on Canon, but old Canon FD lenses cannot do this. By the way, I've never used an OM-3 myself, but it's said by some to be the best manual/mechanical SLR ever - not so cheap though...

Neil, I knew about adapters but didn't know there is one for Nikon to EF. I would have to find some really good focusing screen to put in my 10D to be able to manual focus the kinds of lenses I plan on buying in nikon mount though...do you know of any (I'll get a 50 1.8 for now, eventually a 50 1.2, a 24 2.0, maybe a superwide or two, and the 45mm pancake).

Richard