Classic Camera Exchange

With the posted photo inverted left/right, it looks like that's not your first one tonight :)

My collection is pretty lean and mean these days too. Maybe less so if I get off my butt and fix the pile of broken cameras building-up.

I had offered my 9x12 Voigtlander AVUS + film for Mihai to borrow but he bought a Speed Graphic in the meantime. Any of the Toronto members not shot large format before? Its a bit of an eye-opener seeing what a 1925 camera with Tessar type lens can do in this day and age.

J&C Photography in the USA sells a few B&W sheet film emulsions in 9x12cm size, all 100 speed. In Europe, you can buy colour and other B&W emulsions, though the colour stuff is very expensive and shipping to Canada is killer. I might try and visit a photo shop looking for film when I'm in Germany next month if someone can suggest one in Cologne.

There are also outlets selling Russian made 9x12cm GLASS plates. Ilford has also expressed in interest in making glass plates again. It would be fun to revive the old glass vs. film wars of old.

Look in the archives for my tribute to the Dutch on VE day. It was a tulip, shot on Efke 100 with that camera.

Sorry part 2 to Raid's question - I just scan the sheets so I can print as big as I like. 9x12cm is just a little smaller and more rectangular than 4x5" and of course can be printed HUGE.

I don't know how easy it is to find 9x12 carriers for 4x5 enlargers.

The advantage of this plate camera is that its bible-sized when folded. It has a double extension bellows for close-ups. The disadvantage? It only has front shift and rise/fall, no tilts or swings. Skopar 135/4.5 fixed lens, uncoated, in Compur shutter. Its a sweet lens IMO.

I don't have many cameras to exchange but I have photographs. I did some camera/

photo exchange with CE last month and now I am waiting for Michael Carmack's

Graflex and Ikoflex.

Next week is going to be a busy one ;-)

I wouldn't mind hooking up with the Classic Cameras Toronto Chapter myself.

As well, there's some folks from the Flickr Toronto group who might be interested, our monthly meetups tend to feature a fair number of classic cameras.

Okay. So the created-but-not-yet-touched URL is http://classic-cameras.kaiyen.com. I will eventually use that for other classic camera stuff, but that's where this exchange will end up living.

In addition to a simply list of who has and wants what, how about we include more stuff, such as:

-photos of the cameras that clearly demonstrate that the person actually owns the cameras

-photos of the owners? bios?

-links to history of the camera? (I can do this)

other ideas?

allan

<i>Hallo Reiner.</i> See you on the Rhein cruise the Friday night <i>mit meine Frau</i>?

<p>400 speed B&W (e.g. Ilford HP5+) would be nice. Deutsche Post is outrageously expensive so I would prefer to carry it home. I was originally thinking colour but I don't think that I can get it processed here. That I would have to check with my 4x5 lab in Toronto.

Hi Mike,

I hope I can manage to be on the cruise... I called Foto Gregor today, they stock some B&W film, but have to order colour ( Portra NC, about 30 Euro for 10 sheets, so not cheap..) . So this would be good to know early enough. There are also various mail order possibilities.

Just let me know, so that I can find out.

Rainer

Allan,

Hey, that site of yours would be lots better than my dial-up site, allowing the use of pictures with ease. Pictures add so much to a webpage (as we well know, being photographers), so I defer to you for the webhosting of the camera swap.

Thanks,

Micah in NC

Mike, <br> Have fun in Germany. I grew up in Bonn, which is close to Koeln. Great area in Germany to visit, as is Bavaria. They have great film developing and prints in Germany. I have never obtained prints as sharp as the ones I got in Ulm where they used Kodak Royal Paper. Amazing stuff. Ask for it. They may call it "Koenigs Papier" or something similar. <br>

Thanks for the info on your 9x12 camera.

Nancy - that's a great idea. Thanks.

Now the hard part is getting information from everyone. Do we agree on the various categories of info? Do folks mind having mini-bios on there? Alternatively, I can just link to people's web pages (no need to create more pages if the info is already out there).

Also, how do we want to do the photos for the site? Either of you (if you want) or the cameras themselves? My photos@kaiyen.com address has unlimited quota, so you can send as much as you want there.

I'm going to clean the page up a bit more this weekend, or next week. I think once the content starts to filter in it'll take clearer shape.

allan

Raid, I studied for a year in Duisburg as an undergraduate so I know Koeln well. Karnival was the most fun! Heavy drinking on the street is not such a wise decision in Canada where you're likely to get slapped with a $200 fine.