3 & 3 ?

Marvin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you please elaborate what do you mean by your worried about the 7/7.

rate of mr. Wade rose. i visit your latest photos you submit for critique review. i only found one direct comment he gave you 3/3. while mr. rose since last week. he submitted photos that are popular and artistic. from different categories like birds, abstract and digital alteration. and he is getting all the attention. in fact most of his 7/7 are direct vote from known Photographers of this community. please enlight me mr. Holt. regards DSC.

<p align="justify">In general, direct 7s are often praise and friendship marks then *undeserved* ratings looking at the <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/gallery/photocritique/standards/">photo.net rating system</A>: (I haven't look at Wade's work, I don't judge him)<br>

[...]<i>Photos should be rated relative to other photos on photo.net. Excellent/7 does not mean "one of the best photos of all time"; it simply means one of the best photos of its type on photo.net. Your most frequent rating should be a 4, and most of your ratings should be 3 to 5, with progressively fewer being rated 6 and 7 (or 2 and 1).</i>[...]<p align="justify">

To be a good photographer isn't easy, to be a fair rater is even more difficult.</p>

Wade, it's possible some don't like that amount of manipulation. But 3 for originality is ridiculous. This is a perfect example of the anonymous rate system being a complete failure. It sucks. The low rates all come from no names, while the decent rates are from those who have their names attached

Aye Wade, I know I wouldn't have given that particular piece high praise because of the treatment the image recieved. Not that I don't dig manipulation or many of your other pieces - its just that that particular piece was pretty easy to dissect. Remember mate that ratings are often more about establishing a circle of friends, which you have done =)

I think you'll find that a lot of us rather than rate an image they don't care for low, they'll either skip the image or say something in a comment tactfully. Enough folks like Mr. Farra to counterbalance the karma =)

what are you trying to say mr. Holt and you is been here since 2003. you mean you didn't establish a circle of friends. what a pity, is that the reason why the last 5 photos of mr. holt subitted for critique review no body visit him. come on that particular photo of mr. Wade rose is under digital alteration. even a child can tell its highly manipulated cause that the rules in that particular category. open your eyes all photos in digital alteration is highly manipulated. the case here is still a good photo is a good photo, a bad photo remains a bad photo. be a sport.

lets take my case and yours. i join PN last may 17, 2006. my no. of visitors is 1338 in my bio-data. while yours is 376 since jan 05, 2006. how about our average photo ratings in terms of Aesthetics and originality. is this about friends and or is this about quality of pictures inside the portfolio?

=) Since I have not reviewed but a handful of images, nor requested photo critiques this year (I did do one today for funsies), there is your reason. I speak from experience - for when I was fresh on photo.net I cultivated and cherished high numbers of reviews and ratings. I found that the same folks who I reviewed wound up reviewing me and in most cases the ratings were relatively commiserate.

In other words, if you sling high ratings and comment a bunch, you get them back. If you pump people up, they do the same to you. Thats good stuff, its what photo.net is all about - but keep your eyes open to how it works =)

Earth to Demosthenes! What are you yapping about? I think Wade's image is great if you like digital alterations. I voiced my opinion that I thought the 7/7's were off target, I still think that. Look at the favorite photos of the people that gave him the 7/7's and you might see what I mean. If you would like to see some images that are digitally alterred and are legitimate 7/7's, let me know and I will email you a long list that you can sink your teeth into.

"are you not wondering why. mr. Jim Baker gave you 3/3?" I don't know who mr. Jim Baker is and if in fact he did give a 3/3 I would thank him! I really don't care about ratings and if you want to improve your photography, you would not care either.