Overseas travel with HIE, non-dark handling infrared?

Hello,

I have read some interesting posts regarding safe handling of Kodak

HIE 135 Infrared Film. I will be travelling to Ireland from US this

Fall and would like to take a number of rolls of HIE. In the past we

have had no problem with TSA hand-checking film, however they do open

the canisters in the inspecetions.

I have seen one post of a person who said that the HIE would not be

ruined unless opened in direct sunlight. My question is does anyone

have any experience with film being fogged due to the TSA inspection

process? Has anyone had any experience with the film being fogged

when not loading in a darkroom?

Konica IR film does not need to be loaded in the dark. I have always loaded and unloaded Kodak HIE Ir film in the dark. This almost caused a maid to have a heart attack in the villa we stayed at in Italy ,when she open the closet door to find a person sitting on her cleaning bucket in a closet in the middle of the day, but I digress. I travel almost every trip with at least a couple of rolls of HIE to use for photography. I put them in a filmsafe and run them through the hand checked luggage scanner without ever having a problem with fogging the film. I have used a heavly raincoat to load HIE film,inside in a darkened area with no ill effects.

I do have experience with 35mm HIE being light struck while loading / unloading in subdued light. It does happen and not just the first few frames. I wouldn't risk it.

I usually get film hand inspected but have had no real problems with it being x-rayed a few times. But never carried HIE on a flight in recent times.

Ever consider shooting 120 HIE? (www.DavidRomano.com) No problem with loading / unloading in subdued light. And the photos look an order of magnitude better.

"My question is does anyone have any experience with film being fogged due to the TSA inspection process?"

No, but if they open the plastic tub labelled "Only open in complete darkness" you can expect the first 5-10 frames to be fogged in my experience. I haven't seen any noticeable fogging after a few passes through the hand luggage Xray machine, suggest you just let it go through there.

"Has anyone had any experience with the film being fogged when not loading in a darkroom?"

Yes, even in subdued light I find it fogs well into the roll. If a dark (completely dark) room isn't available (e.g. ouside) I use a change bag (black double layered cloth bag with elasticated armholes available from any good camera store). This has worked well even outside at midday (although it will get hot and sweaty inside very fast so try and find some shade).

Now all you need is some sunshine in Ireland in the fall....

I'm not an HIE expert, but from what I've been told, HIE will be fogged if the plastic canister is open anywhere other than complete darkness.

You can try to find some Ilford SFX or Konica's version. They might be found on ebay. While these are not rue infrared films, they can be handled in daylight.

You could also consider sending your HIE ahead via UPS and have in waiting for you.

Your best best is to just send it through the checked luggage and X-Ray machine. You risk no more fogging from X-Rays than Tri-X. If you think about it, IR is at the other end of the spectrum from X-Rays (ulraviolet). Opening 35mm HIE in room light is not advisable. Very likely the first 10-15 frames will be fogged, and possibly the whole roll if it's outside for very long.

It's odd this HIE stuff! I've taken the 35mm flavour out in subdued light and not had fogging; maybe my subdued light level was different? I can remember several occasions where I've loaded the film up in light that was bright enough to make out colour, with no fogging. The film would have been out of the carton for say 3-4 seconds whilst I loaded the camera. These shots of <a href="http://www.pbase.com/ipenning/joshtree">Joshua Tree </a>were loaded in car with a jacket laid over the camera as I loaded up....bright day, definitely not a dark room, no fogging.<p>What gives??<br><br>I can't see why x-rays would have a greater or lesser effect on IR than other film.

Above someone opined that putting your film in checked baggage was a good idea, the US TSA states "WARNING: Equipment used for screening checked baggage will damage your undeveloped film." on their web site so I suspect it's actually a bad idea.(http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1035.xml).

So flying in/out of the US I would follow their advice and keep your film out of checked baggage.

• 10 months later...

UPDATE:

I ended up shipping my film to/from Ireland. Expensive, but worth it! Went to London last February and had no problem with TSA actually passing the film unopened! Problem occurred in Gatwick coming back -- seems the English inspectors are much less accomodating, nearly to the point of being rude!

Observations regarding above comments -- I too have experienced fogging of HIE in subdued light and now use a changing bag very succesfully. A film safe placed in a checked bag is a red flag. It is LEAD, when x-rayed inspectors see it and immediately grab that bag and check it. Best to try and nicely ask TSA inspectors to let you carry it on. Key word "nicely" -- you have to remember, these people are just doing their jobs and don't want to cause you any problems.

Peace,

Jimmy<div>00G6WL-29507084.JPG.a7e35e8c2c243bffb356b41267a41a29.JPG</div>