hanna_cowpe

I frequently come across critique threads with discussions on a

particular aspect of the image and find that the original image has

been replaced with an amended one. This generally renders the

discussion irrelevant and unhelpful to latecomers. Can I suggest the

photographer leave the original posted image and add an amended

version within the commentary or upload a second version. This way

we could all learn from the discussion.

I aggre entirely - but this can already be done if the photographer chooses: one can leave an attachment on a thread discussing a photograph (I've done it myself: see, for example, my photo <a href="/photo/3109811"><b>Pedestrian Traffic, London</b></a>).

This week's Photo of the Week is an example, and, since the bright vignettes are no longer visible, you can't see what much of the original discussion was about.

On the other hand, if one has just uploaded a shot and sees the flaw immediately, it can be very handy to fix it before the ratings and comments pile up.

Thai, you can do that by going to "Options" and then clicking "Edit Image Info." Leave everything the same except for the very top, where you click browse, and select your improved version.

Sometimes, Hanna, this is less disruptive than at other times, as when a person corrects the error and then acknowledges that the posted version has been modified in accordance with the suggestions. In general, however, I would agree with you, since much of the educational content of the picture and commentary disappears when persons upload new versions.

--Lannie

Sorry! I mis-read the intent of the original question - I wasn't intending to be patronising, but now I see that I have been. I guess my updated answer would be that while any/all photographers here can do what you suggest (and this is what I agree with 100%), I see no way to enforce this, or even to make this the easiest option. Also, many people like to cover up their 'mistakes' in case it makes them look silly, so these people would still probably change the original image...

I wasn't suggesting that any enforced regulation be made, but rather requesting that photographers consider the alternative of secondary amended attachments or uploads to benefit other members taking part in the critiquing process. There's no point in discussing the negative aspects of an image if they've been removed or altered.