• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scan my own and print my own inkjet.

Bought a Canon P this morning.

--------------------------------

"Eastman Kodak Co. said Wednesday it will discontinue production of black-and-white photographic paper by the end of the year as it continues its transition to digital photography."

"Kodak spokesman David Lanzillo said the paper, used in traditional darkrooms, is produced in Brazil. The company will continue to make black-and-white film and chemicals for processing."

(GM casts engine blocks in Brazil)

"Demand for black-and-white paper is declining 25 percent annually as the imaging industry transitions from film to digital, Lanzillo said."

"...and higher-than-expected costs to cover steep job cuts."

(much like GM, which made absurdly obese cars until it was bought by Hyundai on 06/15/06)

I suspect that in a few years we'll be buying supplies at the art supply store. There should be enough of a market to keep a few smaller manufacturers in business for quite awhile. Offset lithography has been around quite awhile but oil paints and canvas can still be found without great effort. Galleries sell the paintings. K-Mart sells the reproductions.

C.

I mentioned this on the Film forum, but I'll say it here too; I think Kodak getting out of this market has a lot to do with improvements in B&W inkjet printing. I can't make an inkjet print that rivals a wet print by a master printer, but I can make an inkjet print better than I can a wet one.

I also suspect that many folks that wet print are using other papers. Of the three places in town that sell b&w paper, none sells kodak papers even though they all sell kodak chems.

The market for b&w is changing. I suspect that the range of productts will get smaller and more expensive, but they might get better since they will probably be selling to a more demanding consumer; the last bulk roll of TriX I bought had a couple of scratches running down almost the whole length of it.

B & C. But I don't have that great a solution for C, just standard Epson (dye) ink-jet on matte paper. But the minimum shipping charge at www.mpix.com makes B a bit of a bitch. Plus www.mpix.com doesn't offer glossy paper (grr).

Of course, www.mpix.com will have to switch to Ilford paper if they are to continue offering true silver B&W printing. Sigh.