first got it, I didn't think it was adjusted properly. The QR plate

was tight going into the dovetail, I adjusted it open and then it was

too loose when it was locked. Anybody else have trouble using the flip

lock? I almost returned it for a B-1 with a screw lock but instead

made a modification to the flip lock lever so that the dovetail opens

more. My QR plates now slide in easy and also clamp securely. Does

anyone have a reason why this may have been a bad thing to do? Thanks,

Pete.

How did you modify it? You can adjust the width of the clamp when locked to fit the QR plates you are using and unfortunately not all plate are made to exactly the same width. I've got plates from Really Right Stuff, Kirk and Foba.

The weird thing is the Kirk plates aren't quite uniform in the width of the "foot" which causes a hassle as I have to slightly adjust the locked width of the clamp when switching bodies and lenses. I should just have the Kirk plates machined down to a uniform width to make my life easier.

Who made your plates?

I'm using Kirk QR plates. I would advise against modifying your QR plates because that would remove the anodizing, exposing the softer metal beneath, making it more vulnerable to damage and corrosion. Instead, consider what I did. Sand a small amount off the end of the flip lock lever. This will allow the dovetail to open up a little more.

1) Open the flip lock and back off the adjusting nut. Be careful not to lose the adjusting nut or spring washers and take note of their orientation. Also watch out for the springs that open the dovetail, they are surprisingly strong.

2) Slide back the grooved bar on the inside of the flip lock lever and swing the adjusting rod to the outside, 180 degrees from clamped position. Wrap a little tape around the threads to protect them.

3) Use fine emery or sandpaper to sand a little off the end of the flip lock lever. Take care to remove the same amount from both surfaces. Sand off only a little, you can always sand off more later but you can't put it back on.

4) Clean the flip lock lever and reassemble everything. Adjust so your smallest QR plate is held securely. Open the clamp and your QR plate should slide in and out a lot easier. If not, sand a little more off until you are happy with the results.

Good luck, Pete