Selling photos to pro atheletes

designonline

I have been taking pictures at pro arena football games. The players

now want to purchase the pictures of themselves that I have taken.

Does anyone think there would be a problem with this as long as the

photo is only sold to the player pictured? I have a media pass and

the paper I shoot for doesn't mind if I sell the photos. The NIFL

has absolutely no policy regarding photography. The photos would not

be used for commercial purposes, "personal use" only. The team says

that they have no agreements with the players regarding photography.

Advice? Any legal eagles out there?

If the payment is cash and you have a place to keep cash out of your bank account, you should be good to go. But if you are in "business," you probably need to collect sales tax, have a business bank account to deposit pay to "Semi-pro Photography" checks, and keep a record of how much income you make (so you have something to report to the fine I.R.S. folks) when you file your taxes in 2007 for the 2006 tax year.

I have the photos on Printoom.com so they handle all the sales tax. Could the team keep the players from buying pictures of themselves from me? They have an "offical photographer" who is also trying to sell his photographs on his website, but his are so bad no one wants them.

Since you have a media pass from the team, check the conditions on the credential application form and damage/injury waiver (releasing the team from any damages if you get injured or killed) you signed when you got your hard card from the team or league.

Since NIFL is a minor sport, they are probably happy to just have a real photographer there to begin with! In fact, why don't you talk to the PR flak/media rep and see if **you** can snag the gig as official photog, selling them on your quality! :)

There were no conditions with the media pass and I didn't have to fill out anything. The coach/owner just handed it to me. The NIFL has no official policy regarding photography at all. I do get permission from every opposing team that comes to town to shoot and sell the photos by offering them copies of the shots for their website. So basically I'm functioning as a photographer for the other team, as most of them don't have a photographer of their own, especially for the away games, and their tickled to have someone taking pictures for them. Never a problem with any other team.