Need film for my sister's outdoor wedding

My sister is having a very informal wedding this summer, and looking

to save costs, she has notified me that she will be relying on my

photos as the official wedding photos. I am an amateur, and I have

never shot a wedding before. Since the wedding will be outdoors, in

the early afternoon, and in an unshaded area, I am worried about

selecting a film that will not look washed out or lack contrast.

I typically use Fuji Superia 200 when shooting outdoors and have

generally liked the results (especially considering the economical

price). I occasionally use Superia 400 or Kodak HD 400, but I think

this film will be too fast for the wedding.

I have never taken photos that needed to look good before, so I'm

willing to splurge on film for the wedding if it will help guarantee

results. Can anyone suggest a good 35mm color film (preferably

negative, but willing to try print), regardless of price? Thank you.

<p>Hi David. "Negative" and "Print" films are the same thing. You get a print from a

negative. Yes, you can get a print from a positive, but that's not usually how it works...</

p>

<p>To answer your question, Fuji NPH 400, Fuji NPS 160, Kodak Porta 400NC, 400VC,

160NC, 160VC are all good films for weddings. NC is "neutral color" and VC is "vivid

color". Personally, I use the Fuji NPH 400 for my wedding jobs.</p>

<p>400 is not too fast for weddings. It's a nice versatile film. Your concern with regards

to lack of contrast and washed out images is more an issue of the light, whether you use

flash or not (and how you use it), and your exposure. Cheers.</p>

Fuji NPH 160 would be my choice. Especially if the Bride is in a dark colored Tux and the Bride in a light (White/Pink)Wedding dress. I believe I read somewhere that the NPH 160 was specifically designed to enhance the "wedding color contrast." I have done a couple of weddings myself (as an amatuer)and had great results.

You may also want to try a couple rolls of Fuji Reala in ASA 100. It too is a good print film I have also used.

Also what is popular today is some B&W's - The C-41 processing B&W films work well.

As you will be mostly outdoor's, it will be a great advantage, (except for shadows). Keep in mind that the slower/lower ASA ratings will produce the better un-grainy enlargements.

Best wishes!

David, no offense, but if you are confused about negative and print, I would suggest that you try out several rolls before the wedding itself for practice. And no film will guarantee you results while almost any reasonable film used judiciously will give good results. Since this is an important event, a lot of test rolls and practice in a similar setting might be wise.

-A

For portrait in general and wedding in particular, you want low contrast (subtle details) and true color (accurate) unlike the punchy 'vivids' or saturated that are great for scenics.

If you have a reasonnable fast lens, Reala 100 will do great. Most 160 iso are made for such events, i used them inside with flash.

Early afternoon and unshaded area : if sunny, you should consider fill-in (use your flash to even lights). You would probably need to try it once. Get someone to pratice for a film if there is enough new things for you (untried film, fill-in, etc.)

If it is an heavy overcast day (no sun, just clouds), your Fuji Superia 200 would do fine (soft light and a film you know)

Thank you all for the very helpful advice and quick responses. I have about a month before the wedding, so I think I'll try a couple different rolls beforehand.

Anupam, despite your preface of "no offense," the banal nature of your comment suggests that you really had nothing to offer other than highlighting my slip. I, in fact, am not confused about the difference between negative and print film but was typing quickly while trying to take notes in class - obviously I meant slide film. I said that I was an amateur, not that I had never held a camera before. Besides, mine was not the only typo - perhaps Jim needs to practice distinguishing brides and grooms - just kidding Jim :-)

"<I>Especially if the Bride is in a dark colored Tux and the Bride in a light (White/Pink)Wedding dress.</I>" <P>

With today's alternate lifestyle weddings, I saw nothing wrong with that. <P>

David,<BR>

Unless you are well versed in exposing with fill flash, direct sunlight will be your biggest enemy. Try to avoid that.

James G. Dainis

Please don't be offened, but you admit in your original message that you don't know what you're doing -- never shot a wedding before, never taken pictures that needed to look good. Wedding photos NEED TO LOOK GOOD even if they're for free. The best thing you could do for your sister is to hire a professional photographer as your wedding gift to her. Even if it's a $500 weekend warrier, he/she will at least have a fundamental understanding of wedding photography.

With that said, if you do go through with this, Kodak Portra 160NC or 400NC is the standard wedding film, along with the Fuji equivalents mentioned by others.

You will need to shoot fill flash since you're outdoors. If you don't know how to do this, you shouldn't be shooting the wedding.

Above all, immediately go to www.amazon.com and buy Steve Sint's book "Wedding Photography: Art, Business and Style." Steve is a friend of mine and his book is the Bible of wedding photography. Memorize it and then go practice every day between now and the wedding until you can duplicate what he does.

Again, please don't be offened by my attitude. We all have to start somewhere. Even accomplished professional news and commercial shooters can fail miserably trying to shoot a wedding. The best way to learn is to shoot alongside an experienced professional if it's a business you want to break into.

If you really need to do it, Then I will say Fuji NPH 400, NS160 ( NPH160 ), Agfa Portrait 160, and Kodak 160NC in that order. In fact 400 is not too fast. In early evening light and late afternoon, you might have to consider lugging a couple roll of faster ( 800 ISO ) and slower film ( ISO 100 ) just in case.

Whatever happen. Try to arrnage an appointed bridal's mate and a gofer from the groom's gang to work as semi-official photo assistant. You need all the help you got. Beg, borrow or steal from youe fellow hobbyist a powerful enough flash if possible and learn to use it beforehand.