Hiya,

I have just bought a Yashica Mat 124G used. It apears in perfectly

good condition, with no marks on any glass and all levers performing

as I would expect them too, etc.

Loaded it with a roll of old 120 to see if it went through properly

and was a bit mythed to realise I could only get the shutter to fire

on just a few shots per roll. The shutter simply didnt click some

times, however after rolling on a few frames maybe I could get it to

click properly. I think it may have exposed about 5 frames of that roll.

Used some different settings for each shot, and the timings sounded

right when it did trip.

Film is at the lab now, will see what if anything comes back!

Anyone able to tell me much about this system??

Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately I had a similar bad experience with my 124-G. Shutter started sticking on several frames each roll. I even got it CLA-d by Dean Williams here on Photo.net. When it came back it work fine in a few est shots. But I put it away for several weeks and after that pretty much the same problem - looks like more oil on the shutter. I've pretty much given up on it now.

Dean, I had sent you the mail immediately after it occured on my first full roll - on the 11th of Feb - but I hadn't heard from you - maybe it ended up in your junk filter or something. Anyway, it's just been sitting on the shelf since then. Glad you read this post. My only medium format has been pinholes since then :-{

I bought a Yashicamat -EM (the one with the selenium meter), last year, having read good things about it. Had it CLA'd. After the first roll of B&W it was obvious that the lens was out of adjustment, the images were horribly soft around the center. Sent it back for repair. Next roll, the images were sharp enough, but the shutter did not always open when I pushed the release, as Robert experienced. You then fiddle with the winding crank to get the shutter to work, and end up with overlapping exposures!

It's back in the shop now, but I will put it up for sale if it's repaired. Photography is a hard enough craft to practice without encountering baulky, uncooperative cameras as the Yashicamat.

Having said that, if your dear old grandfather gifts one to you, then accept it graciously. They can't all be bad, but otherwise save your money for a Rolleiflex!

Oh, noticed it fires quite reliabley now as long as the bellows are fully extended! If I focus a little bit further away and fire it eventualy stops triggering.

Somewhere in the middle the shutter trips whilst I return the winder handel upright. How odd! Not realy prepared to pay for a CLA as I only paid little over 50gbp for the camera and who knows what a repair would cost.

I inherited an old Yashicamat from my uncle. It was bought in 1959, and is still going strong, despite only getting occassional use, so it's not fair to brand all of these cameras as unreliable.

The advice to give the shutter a good workout is sound. Also, the going rate for a 124G in good conditon seems to be around 90 to 100 pounds, so you can't really say you've been fleeced.

Okay thanks for your ideas and responses. Sorry Larry - i'll keep it!

Have come up with a workaround until I can afford to move on and up...

If I focus close then wind on I can then focus where I need it and shoot. Then repeat.... Going to be tedius but if I remember should work. Deffinetly moving smoother after a day of tripping the shutter...

• 1 year later...