I just discovered that there is a Kodak Q-lab nearby, so I'm planing

to sent in some chromes for processing. (the box of film recomments

Q-labs so I thought I'd give it a try)

Now, what is so special about these labs? Do they work on higher

standards than your avarage cheap E-6 processing?

If I assume that all Q-labs follow same set of standards anywhere in

the world, am I to expect people working in gloves while cutting,

clean slides and fresh chemicals every day?

OR is it just another name that Kodak pushes around?

A Q-lab works with Kodak to monitor their processing using statistical process control methods. They run (process) control strips, read them with a densitometer, and send the results to Kodak. Kodak can analyze these results, and see if the variations are just normal random ones, or if they indicate that something is going wrong (contaminated chemicals, excess oxidation, bad pH, flaky replenshment pump, and more).

(Statistical process control is also how Japanese manufacturers managed to make high quality products at low prices, thanks to Edward Demming.)

I'm sure the Q-lab documents are somewhere on Kodak's website.

Being a Q-lab makes it likely that the lab is serious about providing consistent results in their E-6 processing, that rolls processed two weeks apart will have the same color balance and density.

Obviously, you can skip being a Q-lab, and do the process control yourself, without Kodak's help, and do a fine job. Or, you can do a slap-dash job, and let the chemicals do what they want so long as something comes out on the slides.

A Q-lab is probably going to do a better job than the low bidder for some national chain discount store's E-6 processings. But being a Q-lab won't mean that you have the absolute best lab in town, either.

I have taken my film to a couple of different Q-Labs, and while the film itself was processed properly, many of the frames were scratched, dirty, improperly mounted, etc. So, to answer your question: just because they are a Q-Lab doesn't mean you'll get perfect slides.

I guess then they don't have a standard for handling the film, only for processing.

The reason I'd try this q-lab is because my current lab (charges $5 for processing only, and additional 3 for cutting mounting) sometimes gives dirty and scratched slides, and some chemical stains (more rare, but sometimes it is there) But I think it is not declared as a professional lab.

this q-lab declares itself as a professional lab (and it seems to be THE professional lab in the capitol of my country) so I was hoping for top results.

Well I'll just have to see for myself. I'll test them by ordering processing and mounting for a roll of film, so I'll see how it turns out