travel tripod would be the best for me. I currently have a Bogen/Manfrotto

3021, which was great for my old FE2 and D70. I now use a D200 with a MB-D200

and often a 70-200 VR, occaisonally with a TC-17. I haven't weighed all of

that equipment, but it is heftier than I am accostomed to using with the

Bogen. In any case, I am looking for a fairly lightweight tripod I can take

with me on trips. I have looked at the Gitzo carbon fiber tripods and think

the quality and wieght are excellent. I'm unsure of which model to go with,

however. I realize they are expensive, but could most likely justify the cost

to myself. When it come to photo equipment, I can justify just about anything.

I'm also interested in ball heads. Any help from your experience would be

greatly appreciated. Thanks...

I use the Gitzo 2560T Carbon Fiber -- about 14" without a head. I can slip it into a PVC pipe in my checked luggage. BUT, its less than 5' at full extension and has six sections. Works for me because I rarely extend more than two sections, three tops. Might also be touchy for your gear since max recommended load is 10 lbs.

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions here on which specific tripod to get. This isn't one of

those. My only advise is to not fall for one the the many TOO SHORT tripods that Gitzo and

others offer in an attempt to keep weight and folded size down. I've been through a few

and their utility is seriously hampered IMO. Get a tall tripod, it'll be far more useful

especially on uneven ground and the wider footprint longer legs form makes for a more

stable platform as well.

Try the Really Right Stuff BH-25 ballhead (and get their "L" brackets for your cameras). For its weight it is the best IMHO. I use that with a Gitzo 1058 for a very lightweight combo (i.e. for hiking). The next level up would be a BH-40 and a Gitzo 1158. My guess is that the later combo is the heaviest necessary for your intended use.

Jim,

I've carried a Gitzo 1155T (5 leg sections) for the past 2 years for travel. The 1155 was the lightest, most compact, quality tripod I could find at the time (and possibly still). I replaced the ballhead supplied with the 1155 with an existing Acratech ballhead (Version 1, but V2 looks interesting). My current travel kit is a Canon 5d with up to a 70-200 IS lens, used mostly with MLU and a remote release.

I'm about to embark on a short trip so share my views.

One of the things I like is night shots, beautiful. So I need a tripod.

I find the Gitzo a good one is a 2 series. Best compromise. May not fit into daypack.

If more portable the Gitzo becomes $$ or too short. The travelers are eye level or abouts and compactful but $450 or 550. The non travelers are like chest height after the cam and ballhead without the centre column lifted.

Slik or Velbon has some I think, near eye level and quite compact. Not sure if I trust them though but some do.

Another alternative is Feisol www.feisol.com and pple like them and they are carbon fiber, no centre column, flat plate with spikes I think and leg warmers (tripod foam wraps). $160 ex delivery which is $35 or abouts. Near full height and compact to 42cm and 1.2kg weight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Willem,

I like the quality of the RRS products and am happy with the ballhead. The BH-40 fits well with the 2540. The 2540 is great for travel since it is so light and folds down so small. For those days when I don't have to worry about packing the tripod in a suitcase, however, I wish I had the three section leg model (2530, I think). I just think they are sturdier. I used a Bogen 3221 for years. I wish I could afford to have a nice three section carbon fiber tripod as well, but the 2540 has been a good comprimise, and great for travel. I have had no problem with it supporting the weight of my equipment, even in some fairly windy areas. I have used the hook on the center column to hang extra weight for added support. Hope that helps,

jim