Mac crashes constantly with Canon 9950 scan software..

Running a Mac with OS 10.3. To run the Canon 9950f I'm using the

PhotoStudio software. When I run gang scans of 12 slides (4x6" @

300dpi) the computer will crash with a "computer must be restarted"

message. And, of course, all scans made to that point are lost.

I allocated more ram, reduced the FARE to "low"...and there are no

other programs running in the background. Though they were pretty

quick to respond, Canon support had nothing to add...nothing.

Is there any experience in here around this?

With thanks!

Michael

<I>With all respect to those who say OS X is stable...</I><P>

LOL, me thinks the problem is with Canon not Macintosh. I have been using OSX since day

one and never got the "resart" message. Programs crash but it doesn't bring down the

system, just the program. Why don't you give VueScan a try, only $50.<P>Or you can switch

to Longhorn when it comes out sometime around 2010.

OS X is stable: i thorow a lot tougher work at it on a daily basis and I've never had a crash

ofthe OS or a freeze.. Assuming you have plenty of RAm on your Mac, the problem is

evidently the badly written Canon software that is causing the problem. Even the

fiercist Canon advocates I know of -- the Canon Explorers of Light --freely bitch aboutthe

quality of Canon's software ,

especially the OS X versions.

Canon has had a history of driver problems with scanners; they have improved alot!. They often release new drivers which fixes bugs. The great Canon 27XX film scanner was around a many many years; and went thru about a year plus of poor software. Early models/variants had less bits; real clunky software. It was about a year or more before the design matured in hardware and software; before unit. <BR><BR>With a PC; if you have two scanners of the same brand; sometimes poorly written scanner software will use the same file names for the dll files; but they are really abit different variants. With a couple of boxes over the years; i have had a few scanners run slow as dirt; or lockup when the scanner softare versions clashed.

Unless there is something wrong with the scanner itself, the first place I'd look on the Mac

is the amount of RAM. I have a 9950F on OS X and it is capable of generating huge files. I

increased my RAM to 1.1 Gb when I got the scanner and have had no difficulty.