Walz Envoy 35 Rangefinder

Hello All,

I recently acquired a Walz Envoy 35 Rangefinder at a camera swap. It seems to be in good working

order. I'm in the process of shooting a roll of Tri-X with it. Serial # is 90159. Lens is a Nitto Kogaku - S

Kominar 1:1.9 F=4.8cm, seven element. This camera feels very solid & well made. I've shot with Konica

sII, Konica auto SII & Kiev rangefinders. My other cameras are Nikon mf & Rollei Twin lens. My questions

are: Does any know the history or background of this model, year of manufacture? What should I expect

from this lens.

Generally, anyone who makes a 1.9 lens for the competitive Japanese market probably isn't producing junk. It may or may not measure up to the competition, but chances are it is capable of good work. I would be more worried about the mechanical aspects of any cameras of that era. It is a nice looker!

I have the cheap knock-off Sears tower (Mamiya) 18B-- basically the same camera with a 2.0 48mm Kominar.A really nice camera whuich I pais &8.00 on Ebay. I've have seen 3 or 4 Waltz Envoys go on Ebay in the $65-70 range.There is very little information on the net regarding Waltz or the Envoy.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BpIb&tag=

Even the Knock-off Tower/Mamiya is a solid camera,great lens, pre crappy foam light seals light seals,a few plastic part replacements.

The Envoy is the real thing,and fairly rare(going bu ebay)

The Walz Envoy is a fine camera if you can find one that works. The one I had was afflicted with film transport problems. I have encountered several others but all had problems of one type of another. Good luck with it. Post some photos when you get them.

• 1 year later...

>> I've shot with Konica sII

I got a Konica SII in 1961, carried home by my uncle from Japan. My first serious camera. Used it well until the early 70's when the shutter went. I'm agonizing over whether I should have the camera refurbished (Greg Weber). Sentimental value is becoming less important to me, but I remember that this camera took some pretty good photos.