Trouble with Spamcop

Hi - <br><br>My site host, BlueDomino.com, changed their email system

and now runs everything through Spamcop. Set at the most basic, least

aggressive level, the spam filter blocks responses from the Photo.net

forums. It wouldn't hurt to alert Spamcop to the problem. <br><br>

thanks<br>Heller<br><a href="http://www.hollywoodscriptanalysis.

com">HollywoodScriptAnalysis.com</a>

This is the message which our mail server is reporting on its attempted deliveries of your alerts:

65.254.254.50 does not like recipient. Remote_host_said:_550-mail01:_Host_216.127.244.133: No_relaying_permitted_to

65.254.254.50 is your bluedomino.net mail server. The basic rejection reason is that it does not like the *RECIPIENT* on the message. That would be your mailbox at holywoodscriptanalysis.com. In further explanation the bluedomino server says "Host 216.127.244.133: No_relaying_permitted_to" 216.127.244.133 is photo.net. So, this is saying that the bluedomino mail server thinks that deliverying messages from us to you would be "relaying".

Relaying is the case where sender A gives server B a message that is addressed to someone on server C. Server B cannot deliver the message locally: it has to "relay" it to server C for delivery. Relaying is usually only allowed to the clients of server B. Relaying is what you do, for example, when your mail client sends a message to your mail server for delivery to people who are not on your mail server, which is probably almost everybody. So, mail servers will "relay" mail from their non-local clients (such as you on your home computer) to non-local recipients. And, of course, they will deliver mail from non-local senders to local mailboxes -- this is not relaying.

For some reason, the bluedomino mail server is configured so that it does not think that "hollywoodscriptanalysis.com" is a local mailbox and that delivering messages from photo.net to hollywoodscriptanalysis.com would be "relaying". Since photo.net is not a client of bluedomino.net, it won't do it.

The bottom line is that bluedomino.net has not configured their mail server correctly to handle your mail. I don't think this has anything to do with SpamCop, although some ignorant tech support person may have told you that. Get them to fix their mail server.

HI - The web host's solution was to suggest that I add Photo.net to the "whitelist" on my Spam Filter. That doesn't explain why it was blocked in the first place.

In the meantime, Photo.net received so many bounced messages that it stopped forwarding messages to me. PITA!

Thanks for the input.

If you putting photo.net in your whitelist fixes the problem, then your ISP's mail server is giving completely bogus and misleading messages when rejecting mail.

If we have marked your mailbox as "bouncing" you can clear this by clicking the link in your workspace.

Actually if what you gave them was what I posted above, that is just the entry from our mail server's log. Their logs should have comparable information. But, I will check to see if we still have the bounce messages from them and, if so, I will forward them to you. Hopefully they will not bounce.

I'm afraid that I'm going to leave it to you to deal with your ISP. I wouldn't want to deprive you of all the fun.

Heller, I logged in as you and put an alert on this message. I also cleared the email_bouncing flag on your account so that alerts will be sent. We actually have not been sending your alerts since May 31 and we no longer have bounce messages from before that. By posting this (still logged in as you), I should be generating an alert to your mailbox. If it doesn't bounce, then the problem has magically fixed itself, and if it does -- well, at least we should then have a bounce message to give your ISP.