And a super-robust OS thrown in for free.

Heh. Eric's getting the shakes big-time now. He knows what he has to do...

At Apple's WWDC where OS 10.5 was announced yesterday, Apple had a huge banner saying,

"Mac OS X Leopard - Introducing Vista 2.0"

www.citysnaps.net

Does that new Mac come with a version of Photoshop that can use 16gig of RAM? Oops...I forgot. To Mac users, the OS is *WAY* more important than the applications you use on it, which is why I guess you keep buying new versions of OSX.

While Xeon/Woodcrest is long over-due, the fact remains a few months after it's introduced you'll be able to mount this processor on a better motherboard and essentially build the same box for 1/2 the price. One of the unfortunate side effect of moving to Intel is Apple can no longer justify proprietary designs. Still, according to Steve J's own math, a 1.8ghz G5 is faster than this box.

Scott,

With large amounts of RAM PS will use the OS'es disk caching mechanism if properly configured. Hence the scratch disk will write to those "unusable" GBs of RAM. In short, Adobe claims it will use it. It just may be at half RAM speed (like the 640 KB window of old into high memory) rather than at 1/100th or less of RAM speed like it does writing to disk.

In short, yes, PS can use that extra RAM. Perhaps not at optimal speeds, but still a damn sight faster than writing to disk directly. XP-64 also supports this.

enjoy,

Sean

<i><blockquote> Spoke to a friend of mine who works at the Apple store on 23rd St.

</blockquote> </i><p>

This is a worldwide website, Mitch. <p>

If you're talking about NYC, the only Mac-related store on '23rd St' is Tekserve, which is not an Apple Store.

Absolutely beautiful design (despite Scott's attempt to build a garage unit at "?" the cost).

Scott, there are all kinds of responses waiting for you in the last Mac titled post you did

your typical "duck and cover" assault on Apple:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00HXKN

It must be really painful to see this companies market shares increase along with all the

"Switchers" and fantastic new products. Look, I'll make a you a great deal on a used G5

since I want one of these new Mac Pro's bad. I'll even stick a poster of a pin up girl on it

from someone's oily garage...

Yeah, a beautiful design, but way out of my budget. Heck even if I could afford it what would I do with it? ;-) This is what the G5 could not have ever been - look at it: four hard drive bays, two optical drive bays, fewer cooling problems, more RAM. (BTW Eric although I share your enthusiasm there doesn't seem to be much point in this post.)

Anyway, high performance computing is a given but there are other issues that are IMO more pressing to digital photography that aren't being solved. In any case those aren't Apple's problem.

And can we keep from getting bitchy with each other? I don't care who "started it"; this forum is supposed to be either helpful or fun and if it isn't either it becomes no fun very quickly and we lose readers.

• 2 weeks later...

"...they said the Mac Pro runs 1.4 to 1.8 times faster than their previous G5 speedster."

they shouldn't say things like that. many have year old pc's that are running at least 2x faster than the g5 for a fraction of the cost of the new pro fully kitted.