Is there a site which is dedicated to trading EOS gear?

yakim_peled1

Hi,

I consider trading my set of 5 prime lenses, flash, TC and other

small stuff (CPL, Lowepro bags etc.) for 1D Mk II. Do you know of a

site which is dedicated to trading EOS gear? If not, is there a site

which is dedicated to trading photography gear?

Answering possible questions:

1. Selling in E-bay is not an option as I never sold anything there

so no one will believe me.

2. Trading in a store (e.g. B&H, Adorama and KEH) will result in an

approximate 40%-50% loss so it's not a good option either. I prefer

doing this person to person and save the store's fee.

3. Putting WTT ad in the classified is an option which I'd take if

no such site exists.

4. To all who wonder how will I shoot without lenses, the answer is

simple. I intend to buy the 50/1.8 and settle for it in the mean

time. I've done this in the first years of my photographic hobby and

will not have any problems doing it again.

TIA.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Yakim:<br>Why do you not wait for another 6 months? Enjoy your life with your family and the camera you have now. It's no brainer to see that Canon will abandon the 1D Mk II soon and possibly the 20D as well. We just don't know what the next two cameras are.

Amazon is also a good place to sell your stuffs with only 8% commission. It's a little higher than eBay but you don't pay until your lens is sold. But why do you want the 1D? Buy the XT and enjoy the digital technolonogy for a while before you can get the full frame one.

Yakim - I sense an impulse decision here - please sleep on it and re-consider in the morning. To replace all of your primes will cost as much as a 1D2 body. Keep them, save the money you would have had to spend on more primes, and wait for a 1D2.

You must get out more....

Two thoughts in regards to eBay:

1) There are third party relisters. You ship them the item, they handle the selling and take a cut smaller than KEH or the rest.

2) If you sell one itme at a time, you can quickly build a good reputation on eBay. You won't get top dollar for the first item, but once you've sold three items people will believe you really are selling off your gear. Heck, send me the links and I'll bid on your stuff. I'm betting you take better care of your gear than I do.

1. I've handled the 20D for a short time. Didn't like the ergonomics and small viewfinder. As I am not a small guy, that also rules out 350D.

2. All my stuff is in mint condition. Total cost as new is about 3.5K. Used it should be worth about 3K. Used 1D Mk II go for 2.5-3K. I think it's a fair trade. However, as Puppy Face wisely stated, the problem is to find a 1D Mk II owner who would like to make the trade. Hence my desire to find a photographic trade site.

But most importantly:

3. No one knows of such a site? As no one replied on that I guess there's no such thing. Pity.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

"Total cost as new is about 3.5K. Used it should be worth about 3K" - on what planet? - if you can get 1/2 the new price when you sell S/H you are doing well. If you want to try digital - get a used 10D and battery grip for your big hands - you can always use it as backup if you upgrade later. As you have stated before you don't print over A4/10x8 - 6mp is more than enough.

Wait a second. B&H and Adorama are willing to give me 60% on mint items. They have done so in the past. Are you saying that I can't get more from private buyers? That is not logical.

In the past I sold lenses to private buyers in Israel. All were in mint condition. For the Canon ones I got about 80%-90%. For the third-party ones I got about 50%. My current primes are all Canon's.

And it's not the MP's that I'm after. I'm sure that the 4MP from the 1D will be more than enough for me. Indeed I don't print over A4 and it's the ergonomics and the bigger viewfinder that I mainly want. Thing is, used 1D go for about 1.5-2K and I think that my gear is worth more than that.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

>>cost as new is about 3.5K. Used it should be worth about 3K<<

While everything is possible, I think your "projection" is a bit too optimistic even for Ebay, where people pay for items MORE than their new cost. But, the best way to find out and try and sell them and see what happens.

Some items will fecth more than others. The 50mm f/1.8 II it's been a great seller as most times it will sell more than the price of B&H.

As far as store prices, usually a MINT, like-new item (10) would sell for apprx 80% of NEW price. That means you'd probably get the 40-60% they speak of. But, usually a merchant wants to make more than 20% profit, even those who rely on volume so, you can expect to get the lower end of the estimate. So, I would try to sell the items directly if I were you.

The ZERO Ebay feedback is NOT an issue. Everyone starts there so, if your items are as you describe them you'll have positive feedback in no time at all. But, have you tried selling through PN? You know this site has a classified section.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it turns out as you wish.

I would suggest EBAY too. If you have the original boxes and take a couple nice photos of each lens with the box next to it you WILL sell it for a decent price -- 70% max if you are lucky. I started out as a zero (0) on EBAY and successfully sold EOS EF lenses there. Also place an ad in photo.net if you do not want to use EBAY. Best of luck!

<p>

What lenses are you selling?

<i>The ZERO Ebay feedback is NOT an issue. Everyone starts there so, if your items are as you describe them you'll have positive feedback in no time at all.</i><p>I disagree. When a new seller with no feedback history sells high-ticket items on eBay, many buyers won't take a chance, and move on to other listings. There are just way too many scams that fit that description. The items may sell, but the bidding pool will be a smaller group of people, and the final price will likely not be as high as that of an identical item from an established seller. The "protection policies" of both eBay and PayPal are a joke (for instance, PayPal's buyer protection is only valid if you received nothing at all; but does not cover items that are received, but "not as desecribed"). Unfortunately, I have firsthand experience with that as a buyer.<p>Yakim's sterling reputation here on PN could be a form of feedback here in PN's classifieds, and I think this is his best bet.

Yakim -

Perhaps you should just pick a one or two of the primes and offer to trade or sell them on fredmiranda.com. A 1D seems to be about $1800 and a 10D around $725-800. You shouldn't have to sell all your primes for a single camera if you can use one of these for a while. Good luck!

- Mary

Finacially it does not make much sense to sell a set of lenses only to replace them at a higher price later on. If you do the sums, I expect it would be cheaper to take out a loan and pay the interest for the 1DMark II.

I vote e*bay if you sell. It's great for commonly available items, because people are always looking/searching for them. Sell the cheaper items first. Set auction for 7 days closing on Sunday late afternoon EST. Sellers who also take pay*pal seem to get higher bids.

But I second the idea to keep the lenses, and use a credit card or loan to get the 1DII. Unless you plan on getting different lenses...

Good luck Yakim.