Dust on the sensor

robert_gandy

<p>One is tempted to respond (with tongue planeted firmly in cheek) that the best way to

keep

dust off the sensor is to leave the camera in the shipping box.

<p>If you switch lenses you will eventually get dust on the sensor, and you will need to

clean it. It isn't as big a deal as it sounds as long as you are careful.

<p>However, you can and should take steps to minimize the amount of dust that gets

into the camera body - this will increase the interval between cleanings. Some

suggestions:

<ul>

<li>Try to eliminate unnecessary lens changes. I almost always leave a given lens on the

camera until I know (or am pretty sure) I'll need a different one.

<li>People often suggest turning the camera off while changing lenses, on the theory that

static may attract dust more readily with the power on.

<li>If you know you are going into a dusty and/or windy situation, try to switch lenses out

of the wind - e.g. in the car before you get out to take the photo.

<li>When you change lenses, try to minimize the time the body is open. I release the lock

on the lens currently on the camera and turn it slightly. Then I remove the cap from the

lens I'm about to instal. Holding this lens next to the camera body I remove the installed

lens and fairly quickly install the next lens. The camera is probably open for only a second

or two.

<li>Keep the back of your lenses clean.

</ul>

<p>Hope that helps.

<p>Dan

Hiii guys,

My sensor has dust too but I wonder if I can just use a blower to blow them off. There is this "Mirror Lockup" mode in my 20D and I wonder if the mirror was lifted up in broad daylight will the sensor be burnt ( as it's exposed to light)? There is a low pass filter over the actual sensor right? Or the mirror lockup does not mean the shutter is open? Thanks.

I am always getting dust on my 20D and this is because I am forever changing the lenses in the field. Changing the lens is not easy outdoors and I have not yet quite pefected it having dropped the rear lens cap on at least one occasion. I do keep a blower with my lenses but the last time I used it it made matters worse (it must have had dirt inside the blower. After all it does have to suck air in before it blows it out and it must have been gathering dust before I used it).

I use the lens tissue swab method to clean the sensor and it seems to work OK but it does take patience and a clean area to work in. Not something that can be done outside. I am sure the sensor is OK with a bright light on it after all there is no warning in the manual.

Just take care when changing lenses and this will help minimise dirt gathering on the sensor. As has been said 'don't change the lens unless you have to'.

Take Care

There is a Sensor Clean option on the advanced menu ( to access this put the camera into an advanced mode (eg TV) this locks the mirror in the UP position exposing the sensor, i find it best to use something like a Rocket blower (Do Not Use compressed air)and if that doesn't work a very soft swab. The last thing you want to do is scratch the sensor.

I have a 20D and on average find that i need too clean the sensor every couple of months.

Dust is dust and it will get in

Hope this helps

MArk

Please bring a micro fiber cloth with you. Before change the lens, try to wipe the lens mount

area, so that the dust will have less chance to get in. And change the lens in an area with less

wind or dirt (at least use you body to sheild the camera). Try to clean the camera, and the

inside of the bag, as soon as you have a chance, at least the same evening. Also, please do

not forget to clean the rear of the lens, since the dust there can get into the lens or the

sensor, eventually. Please be careful with compressed air, since they are usually too powerful

to control. Also please be careful with liquid--it is hard to the dust specks, but easily leave

some traces.