Manual focus Nikon lenses on Pentax *ist dSLR?

jeg

I am strongly considering buying a digital SLR. However, I already have a nice

and extensive Nikon outfit including the wonderful F100 camera. But virtually

all my lenses are manual focus lenses -- mostly high-end primes and special zoom

lenses -- with which I have no problem to work with (even if I can't use matrix

metering). As those lenses are in a definitively used condition, their resale

value is not that great.

I have decided to keep my F100 as my basic 35mm SLR film camera, so I will keep

most of lenses. The problem is that I want to continue using these lenses on my

prospective dSLR instead of buying expensive AF versions or a complete new

system. As far as I know, the only dSLRs with a Nikon bayonet that work (i.e.,

meter) with manual focus lenses are the D1, D2 and D200 -- which are all way out

of my budget as photography is not my profession but a hobby for me as a poor

student.

But I discovered that the current digital cameras from Pentax have the option of

using the older Pentax K-bayonet lenses via an adapter. There also seem to exist

adapters that allow the mounting of Nikon lenses to a Pentax K mount.

So, my question is, is it possible to use manual focus Nikon lenses on a Pentax

dSLR with the aid of TWO adapters? Has anyone experience with such an outfit?

What are the cons and technical disadvantages of such an endeavour?

Unfortunately, I know no-one who has a Pentax dSLR else I would simply get those

adapters and try this myself.

I use Nikkor lens extensively on my Canon EOS 10D and 20D, the nikon F to EOS adapter works great and works better than the m42 to EOS system.Keep your nikkors and put them on a Canon DSLR.Just set the f stop on the lens and put the camera in the AV mode, let the camera choose the shutter speed.Buy several adapters so that you can have them mounted on several lens without haveing to change tha adapter each time. they are about $20 off ebay, here is the one I use

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-AI-to-Canon-EOS-Lens-Adapter-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ190018264593QQihZ009QQcategoryZ30059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pentax DSLRs have crippled k-mount which takes k mount lenses too, but has to stop down for metering. The only adapter I know is M42 to k-mount which is a PITA to be removed and in no way comparable to LTM-M adapters.

Get another summer job and buy a proper camera. That's by far cheaper than becoming fed up with affordable crap first.

Buy a Canon Rebel XT for $649.00 at B&H. The Nikon->EOS adapter will set you back about $15.00+S&H (you can buy several) and you are set. You will need to get an EOS rear lens cap if you leave the adapter on the Nikon lenses.

I have used my Nikkors with my EOS cameras (film and digital) with great success however, there are limitations: the camera will work ONLY in Av or M. Your dedicated flash will work only in Av.

Essentially, the camera will meter in TTL mode therefore, you must focus wide open and then, set the aperture as desired. This would be true with the Pentax or any other non-Nikon (and even some Nikon) body.

Pentax DSLR can take K-mount lenses *period*. No adapter required. They need an adapter for the even older screw mount lenses -- maybe that is what you were thinking of. Anyway if there is a K-mount-to-Nikon adapter, then you'd only need one adapter.

Funny that the most affordable options for using Nikon manual focus lenses is either a Pentax or a Canon. I don't know why Nikon doesn't just make its lower-end cameras meter with the manual lenses.

There is about a millimeter difference in lens mount register between Nikon and Pentax ...

45.46mm for Pentax, 46.50mm for Niikon ... and that, coupled with the size and pieces of

the two different bayonet lens mounts, is not enough room to make adapters that will

focus a Nikon lens at infinity on a Pentax body without adding optics to the adapter to

compensate.

Picking a Canon or Olympus body to use with them is much more sensible because both of

them have substantially shorter mount registers that allow an adapter to be made easily.

You'll get metering if you do so, at the expense of fully manual iris operation: you have to

close down the iris manually since neither of them will operate the automatic iris

mechanism of the Nikon lenses. Personally, that's annoying enough to me that I'd just pick

a Nikon body, with or without metering, and use my lenses on that.

The lack of metering with unsupported lenses isn't such a big deal with a digital body,

however. You're not wasting precious film ... All you do is guess exposure, take a test

shot, look at it with the histogram display, make an adjustment, etc until you get the right

exposure setting. Delete the test exposures and shoot away. Once you get some

experience at it, you will find that you can guess the correct exposure with very few tries,

and this way you'll have full use of your existing lenses with full auto-iris operation.

As you add new lenses to your kit, just pick the AF ones and you'll get all the metering

features of the Nikon bodies as well with them.

Godfrey

Thanks for all your helpful answers! Seems that I still have a lot to learn about digital cameras. I did not know that Canon dSLRs could work with manual focus lenses at all. I'm already checking the market for a nice EOS 20D, as it seems to gives the most bang for the buck and is still within my budget. The large gallery files from dpreview.com make comparison between the various brands and models easy and like the picture quality of the 20D best. Sure a Nikon D200 would be nice, but as it is twice as expensive I can wait until after the D500 (or D5005, D15 or whatever) and get one when they become a bargain. I feel no need to be an early adaptor.