CAVETE: Don't throw stones at eBay, if you are one of these Lecica Forummers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the email shenanigans, In the end, if the seller didn't want to ship to Malaysia (or anywhere else for that matter), then that's his/her prerogative. Many people have had sour experiences with particular localities around the world and that often dictates their opinions. Personally, I also would hesitate to ship anything to Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Nigeria, and many, many other countries that have a history of harboring scammers. It's nothing personal, it's just that the behavior of a few spoils the whole barrel. Unless you know the recipient personally, why take the chance?

Skip

If I recall, Torben is the stunningly generous gentleman who, when a forumer of long

standing posted to tell of his experiences during Hurrican Katrina, carped that such posts

were not appropriate to the Leica forum. <p>Reading his post certainly made me vow not to

buy any of the items he so often posted for sale. It certainly doesn't surprise me that

someone so obviously mean-spirited and devoid of empathy is the first to accuse others of

behaving unfairly.

I shipped once to Canada and it took a month to clear customs. I shipped to South Korea and it cleared customs in a week, while Greece took two months. I've had books take two months or never arrive from the UK. A 90mm Cron arrive from UK and it took about a week. A bronica back took ten days from Russia. I would never sell again worldwide and plan for delays when I make a purchase.

If I felt something wasn't on the up and up, I wouldn't ship to Malaysia, or Katmandu for that matter. Ebay, the buyer/seller, and my pristine 120 positive, 1 negative, and 1 lukewarm rating can go to hell.

What did you not understand about "I don't want to do business with someone in Malaysia" ????

Robbie, a seller here in this instance did not wish to ship a Leica-related accessory to this destination. And for his reason. To equate that with a generalised statement of not wanting 'to do business in Malaysia' is probably taking the issue way out of proportion. Do we have anything in common to talk Leica in this forum?

To quote myself: "This is not rocket science; rather an issue in the cross field between law and ethics: If the item is still available, and a buyer unconditionally accepts a seller?s price and all other conditions stated, the seller is obliged to sell to that buyer!!" I accepted, but he sold to a third party (regardsless of his unconditional announcement of his item!)

"This is not rocket science; rather an issue in the cross field between law and ethics: If the item is still available, and a buyer unconditionally accepts a seller?s price and all other conditions stated, the seller is obliged to sell to that buyer!!"

blah blah blah. This is your own personally fluffy rule, remember? No one has to stick to it. Go away.

"This is not rocket science; rather an issue in the cross field between law and ethics: If the item is still available, and a buyer unconditionally accepts a seller?s price and all other conditions stated, the seller is obliged to sell to that buyer!!"

Really? I know of no such rule of law or ethics.

As far as I'm aware, under American (and English) law an advertisement is *not* treated as an offer by a seller that can become binding once a buyer accepts it.

Rather, an advertisement is an *invitation* to potential buyers to make an offer. The seller can decide either to accept or reject a potential buyer's offer. There are exceptions to this general rule, but they don't apply. So, the proper way to think about this situation is that your offer to buy was rejected, not that your acceptance of an offer was rejected. Big difference.

So, there's no legal problem here--at least as far of the law of contracts. As for ethics, this is a commercial transaction among (hopefully) competent parties, and there was no sleight of hand on the part of the seller. The seller resold (apparently) at the same price to another buyer. The seller's explanation for refusing to sell to you seems reasonable and was openly communicated.

So, please, let's move on. There's nothing to see here.