Pentax DSLR & 200 ISO

screeny

One thing I'm confused about is the minimum iso of 200 for the Pentax DSLR's.

Should it be a show stopper? For waht usage/kind of photography/kind of

printing/print size etcetc does it matter, i.e. will I "miss" the 50 and 100

settings?

I'm probably silly asking but if I'm correct other brand DSLR have 100 iso

settings so there must be a practical use to it or is it just another

marketing/selling point parameter?

any opinions or comments apreciated

kind regards,

Marc

All the DSLRs that use the Sony sensor in the Pentax DSLRs (Konica Minolta 7D, 5D and

Nikon D100) similarly have an ISO minimum of 200. That's because this is the native

sensitivity of the sensor, where it produces the least noise and the best quality.

Attenuating the sensitivity to ISO 100 or 50 does not improve image quality, rather it likely

increases noise. Other cameras with other sensors rated to lower ISO don't necessarily

produce any less noise or higher quality.

The Pentax camera using this sensor produces some of the best image quality and lowest

noise on the market for a 6Mpixel DSLR, demonstrably better than even the highly

considered Canon 10D. (I own one of those too and have compared them exhaustively, at

ISO 100 and ISO 3200 as well as all points in between...)

The only time I miss having ISO 50 or 100 is when I want a wider aperture coupled with a

longer exposure time in bright sunlight to achieve a particular focus zone/long exposure

effect. But ISO 50-100 rarely give enough advantage there to be useful... a 6 to 10 stop

Neutral Density filter is more what's called for in those situations, providing ISO settings

around 3 or lower.

Godfrey

<i>"All the DSLRs that use the Sony sensor in the Pentax DSLRs (Konica Minolta 7D, 5D and Nikon D100) similarly have an ISO minimum of 200. That's because this is the native sensitivity of the sensor, where it produces the least noise and the best quality."</i>

<p>

The KM 7D and 5D start at ISO 100.

Interesting, thank you for the correction.

It doesn't change the fact that ISO 200 is the native sensitivity of the sensor, however. They

are applying an attenuation. I would be very interested to see a comparison of ISO 100 vs ISO

200 results. The difference is likely insignificant, I wonder if it is measurable. :-)

Godfrey

If you happen to own a ancient, powerful strobe system without a dial down option, which was calculated for slow film like Kodachrome or APX 25 shot with MF/LF, you might sometimes curse the high minimum ISO of a DSLR, which shows any hint of dust on the sensor at small apertures.

For shooting handheld outside the studio I'd even buy a 2nd body starting at ISO 800.