tripod for travelling

samantha_boswell

The minimum I travel with is a Bogen 3001. It's not the smallest but it's fairly compact and still offers legitimate stability. Some will say it's still to large for travel but it works for me. If you need something smaller, Velbon makes a couple of very small models under the "Maxi" line. I looked at them but felt they were too flimsy for my taste. Other's opinions will difer. My 3001 fits nicely in the tripod sling and cords on my Lowepro Mini Trekker backpack.

Hi Samantha. Inevitably it will depend on your budget. Gitzo carbon fiber tripods are highly regarded, light weight, and expensive. I don't think you would go wrong with one. You may want one with 4 leg sections [it will be shorter when collapsed] although 3 is easier to use and perhaps a bit more stable. I use the 4-section Gitzo 1228 when travelling. There are less expensive carbon fibre tripods.

On top of the tripod you will need some kind of head, I have a Markins ballhead which is gorgeous! And, you've guessed it, pricey. Again, there are numerous possibilities. I'd go to www.bhphoto.com to look at some of the goodies. You'll need to know the weight of the camera/lens combo you plan to use too.

If you reply with more specifics e.g. budget, weight requirement you'll probably get more specific recommendations. Also try a search on photo.net. I hope this gets you started. Roger.

How high do you need it to be? 2-series Gitzo is okay at full extension. Lighter alternatives, down to 0-series Gitzo, are okay when the thinnest legs are not extended. Velbon 343 is probably the smallest and lightest. By changing a better ball head and not extending the thinnest sections it will do if minimum size and weight is paramount.

I'd say don't bother taking a tripod. But if you really want one, anything will do - I'd go for a cheap plastic / aluminium one - but one without a quick release head. But try them out because some cheap tripods can be really unstable. Unless you're shooting in windy conditions or with a really heavy camera, it should be fine.

My shotgun approach. Table top tripod or else a Gitzo carbon fibre G1228 with a ballhead.

If you are travelling to cities etc etc.. temples and museums they ban them so no point, likewise if you don't have time to set up and stuff.

If you are going on a slower trip or know pple there and staying with pple you know then a tripod is fine. But the thing that gets to pple is that if you are out all day are you going to hog onto the tripod all day as you walkaround? Most tourist probably have breakfast then head out and then have dinner and come back after or come back near dawn or that they may come back and have dinner at hotel/hostel. I find that you may prefer to do trips such as few days hiking trip is fine and likewise if you travel out and use tripod and travel back to accom and leave it down and then go out again without the tripod. Hogging onto it the whole day isn't everyone's thing.

I am going to EU in 2 week's time for 2 weeks as I wanna see as much as possible and to soak that all in. I am taking a SLR with table top tripod which is going to be used for night shots. Museums and such prob ban them and I prob can't be bothered to using one either, let alone hogging it around. When I am in the countryside I can plant it down and take a shot of myself - I am travelling alone.

I mean yeah it can be under 2kg. I find its more the hassle of the tripod the size, setting it up and stuff if you want to travel quickly around. A photog bag is a real must if you carry a tripod, clipped to backpack is a nice approach. But then again if you walk into the city you look a bit out of place or over keenly with a tripod stuck behind your back ;-)

Hope this helps some what.

Going out and then come back drop the tripod and head out again. For that you may be interested in morning sunsets. Or likewise in the evenings with sunset or night photog when a tripod is a necessity. Other than that at afternoon handheld should be adequate.

If you doing action, you can opt for a monopod which should be easier to hog onto the whole day if you desire.

If one wants to come back to accom to pickup or drop off tripod, it does robb your travel time away. Hence when I travel I take a table top tripod. I find the 1 series Gitzo too big :-D

Ok, maybe if I took a daypack the waist height series are ok as they fit inside a bag. I just find those a bit too short and that I can do almost equally well with a table top tripod, for me I prob just use it for sunsets/sunrise/night photog.

Have a look at a store and see how its like ......

Hi Samantha.

Last year I had a trip to China, several cities, and was carrying along a 1 year old daughter. I still wanted to get some good shots from the trip but weight was definitely an issue (my wife really wanted me to skip the tripod). I wanted a tripod that was light and quick to setup. The best one I found was the Velbon ULTRALUXIF.

I too would recommend normally a Bogan 3001 or lightweight Gitzo. This tripod however weighs under 3 pounds (with the heads) and is very compact at under 16 inches and can hold up to 6 lbs. The tripod litterally sets up and and crimps down in seconds with a quick twist of the legs. This was another plus.

I didn't like the head (too small) and after a recommendation from others went with a Giottos which was much more solid and attached a flat Stroboframe quick release to it.

The legs all move independantly which is a plus for odd ground levels. The real negative is that this tripod is less firm than others. I always used a remote shutter release (IF or cord) and kept the tripod out of stiff winds. With the tripod I took beautiful shots, inluding some very long exposures at night and in caves.

So if weight is a HUGE issue it is very hard to beat this product. Otherwise I'd agree with the other postings here.

Hi Samantha,

On many trips I've taken a small table-top tripod, plus a monopod for both lightness and greater height. For night shots (or other times when you need more stability), I brace the monopod diagonally across a tree trunk, wall, or passing policeman (kidding).

I've never had difficulty with the monopod at airport security, but my tabletop tripod was the old (but very sturdy) Kodak model which has three metal legs that screw into a small metal base. But several times, I had to watch airport security debate whether I was actually carrying three screwdrivers. So I upgraded. (Tomorrow, I'll post an addendum about the really useful Gitzo "tabletop" that I use. I just don't remember the model number right now.)

A monopod may also be allowed in churches and other buildings where a tripod isn't permitted. Always ask first, though!

Dave

Ilkka's response (above) matches my experience. I've used a Bogen 3001- too heavy and

bulky. I've used a Gitzo 0026- too puny and short and slow to use.

I now (for travel) use a velbon 343 with a Giottos 1002 ball head attached and an Arca type

clamp. This works pretty damn good and is tall enough (about 62" fully extended w/

ballhead). It is 2 1/2 lbs and 18" long when folded, again w/ the head attached.

I really don't see the point of paying a lot for one of the little Gitzos (for instance) as

they're really no more stable, are slow to use and too short, and you might cry if you lose

it. The Velbon 343 is about $80. US, the Giottos head is about $60., and the Arca clamp

was $60.

Oh, and to your question- I've used it with a 70-200 F4L mounted on a 350D with good

results. I wouldn't step away from it though, if you know what I mean :^).

Everyone has a different opinion of what constitutes a "minimum" tripod. This is mine.

• 7 months later...