Meridian 45B (The "American Linhof")

User_503771

I have an old Meridian 45B 4x5 press/view. It has the posts that come out the

back, on which reside the actual camera back, similar in design to the Linhof,

or so I understand.

My trouble is that a couple of these posts just won't tighten down, and at best

using the adjustments that these posts provide is a wrestling match.

I've chalked that up to the fact that most of the camera is of aluminum

construction, and thus will bind up if it sits for a while. But I don't

understand why I can't seem to tighten at least one of the posts.

Anybody with any experience with these cameras have anything to say?

Thanks in advance....

Sounds like a similar system to the MPP, which also uses aluminium alloy locking screws on chrome-plated pillars - not a good friction combination.

First thing to do is to remove the offending lock-screw completely and check the condition of it. Chances are that the end is all burred over, or the entire screw is bent. Check the hole as well, there may be some corrosion blocking the thread and preventing the screw from contacting the post. If you find any of the above faults, I'll leave it to your own abilities to correct them.

As I previously said, Aluminium on Chrome does not give a good "bite", and you'll find that locking will be improved if you put a small plug of high friction material between the screw and the pillar. I used some red fibre washer material, which probably has some fancy name, although I can't for the life of me think what it is.

Hard rubber or plastic would probably do just as well.

Interesting......I posted the question back in '03 to which Charles Monday generously offered his advice. I took mine apart and found a somewhat different arrangement. The posts indeed pass through spherical bushings but on my camera these are not split in the way that Charles described. Nor do the tightening screws compress the bushings or make direct contact with the posts. The bushings are solid and each has three round openings. Each post slides through two of the openings. The third opening is at a right angle to the other two and directly opposite the tightening screw. Each tightening screw has a spherical hollow machined into its end. This hollow accommodates a small brass plug, about 1/8" diameter and 1/4" long, with a rounded end to fit into the hollow. This plug passes through the opening in the bushing and makes contact with the sliding post. When the tightening screw is turned down, pressure is applied to the post through the brass plug, rendering it immobile. Over time, the plugs become worn down and are simply too short to effectively sustain the necessary pressure. A possible solution would be to obtain brass rod stock of sufficient diameter and with a bit of cutting and filing, make up some new plugs. Or, there may be a way of shimming the old ones. I don't know. I'm embarassed to admit that I haven't made the attempt to repair mine.

• 5 years later...