High airflow sensor cleaning

ulrich_brandl

Sensor cleaning with brushes or soft air (bulbs) is not always as effective as

expected, they move the dust instead of re-moving it. If you are lucky,

electrostatic charge binds the dust to the brush, but that varies with many

conditions. Dedicated vaccuum brushes produce only a weak vaccum, not always

sufficient. Bob Atkins has described a useful two step procedure on his

website, but it often ends up in a relatively cumbersome liquid cleaning.

I have found, that the strong airflow of a household vaccum cleaner is very

helpful. You put the vaccuum close to the lens mount (but stay outside !) and

clean the sensor with a very soft, dry and grease-free brush. This mobilizes

the dust parcticles and they will be captured by the strong airflow. If your

brush loses a hair, it will be captured too. You don't distribute the dust in

the camera, you really remove it. Only greasy or adhesive dust will remain for

liquid cleaning.

Is this method already published elsewhere ? If not, is there is enough

interest that justifies the effort to post a detailed article on the web ?

Ulrich

Sounds like a reasonable technique as long as you are careful. I'm sure that TOO much suction could cause damage and if you applied suction with the shutter closed you could probably suck the blades out of their tracks.

Of course if you are sucking air OUT of the camera, there must to an equal volume of air moving INTO the camera somewhere, so this would be best done in as dust free an environment as possible. Many houshold vacuum cleaners discharge a significant amount of fine dust particles into the air unless they use a HEPA filter system.

Hi Bob,

you are absolutely right, one should definitely stay outside of the lens mount. The other argument - it is true that you suck in the same amount of air as you suck out - dosn't seem to have too much practical impact. I think that the turbulences inside the camera will not allow most particles to settle. And at a time you need cleaning th density of dust inside is probably higher than outside. Clearly, one should avoiid this procedure in dusty environments and use a vaccuum cleaner with advanced filter techniques.

Ulrich

I"ve been doing that technique for quiet some time now, and it works well for me.

But in addition to that technique, I also clean the mirror by firing 5-10 shots in burst mode, in front of the vacuum cleaner, To remove the dust in the mirror that would later stick to the sensor, if you're not lucky enough.

"Is this method already published elsewhere ? If not, is there is enough interest that justifies the effort to post a detailed article on the web?"

Well, I'd be interested. Not saying I'm ready to try this just yet, but the more info there is the better we can judge.

What about high airflow...the other way...ie, blowing from a pressurized air tank? Anyone ever had a problem blowing air at a sensor at 30 psi, 60 psi, 100 psi? I've heard not to use pressurized air cans as they throw a chemical spray...but how about electric air tanks?

"... relatively cumbersome liquid cleaning."

I'm probably a bit ham-fisted, but I've found brush cleaning to be more cumbersome than liquid cleaning, mainly for the reason that Ulrich gives in his OP - the brush just moves the dust around, and I need several attempts to get rid of it, before finally giving up and giving a single wet clean.

Ulrich, I'd like to see your method in detail - anything to make cleaning easier. One thing I'd like to know - how do you hold camera, brush, and vacuum nozzle at the same time!?

I use a transparent plastic ketchup type bottle with the pointy nose to blow dust of the sensor and out of the chamber. Cost me 50 cents (instead of the ridiculous prices they charge for the rubber bulbs in photo stores) and if there is grit and spots on the sensor, then you resort to wet cleaning. My technique has the advantage of no static, no excessive psi, great control and it's dirt (ha!) cheap. ;)