20D Shutter button problems

Hi,

I'm having problems with my shutter button. Sometimes, when I want to take the

picture the button doesen't respond (I have to press two or three times to get

it right). When I press half way for focusing I have no problems.

Any suggestion? Any idea how much money to fix it?

Thanks,

AGUSTIN

In some modes the camera will not take a picture unless the AF has got focus - I think this might apply to single shot focus in the pict modes.

If this problem seems to happen in low light or when their is poor contrast in the subject this might be the issue. I suggest scanning through the manual if this sounds like it might be the issue.

The only other time this may happen is if the camera is busy writting earlier shots to the card - you can tell if it is that because the CF write light on the back will be flashing.

I have experienced the same thing and handful of times. Once or twice I've had to restart the camera. I shoot mainly in aperture priority mode so I doubt it has anything to do with mode chosen. With lens set to AF the camera wouldn't take a picture out of focus anyway. So, what is it? I'd say some kind of focus issue and/or lens-camera communication. Agustin, what lenses do you use? I have both Canon and other lenses but my impression is that it mostly happens with my Tokina 12-24 zoom. I am glad this came up and I'll follow the thread.

I have the same problem in low light and/or

contrast situations. If this is the case, your camera is operating normally.

It sounds like you're raising camera to face, pressing shutter all the way

down and expecting it to instantly focus on anything in front of it. It doesn't always work

that way. In dim or low contrast situations, you need to lock AF on points of contrast

(eyebrow, edge of

roof, etc.), then shoot. Also, in such situations you could switch to MF and the shutter will

release no matter what.

Of course if you're having problems in good light with contrasty objects, you need to get it

repaired.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<<Puppy Face: thanks for the lecture. But this is something else. If you read what I write you'll see that my camera actually freezes. It stops working.>>

As you didn't start this thread, why would you assume the reply was directed at you?

<P>Rob roars, <I>"As you didn't start this thread, why would you assume the reply

was directed at you?"</I></P>

<P>Well, he did address me as Puppy Face in his response:</P>

<P>Mr. A chirps, <I>"Puppy Face: thanks for the lecture. But this is something else. If you

read what I write you'll see that my camera actually freezes. It stops working."</I></P>

<P>Obviously responding to these silly posts aptly demonstrates I have far too much time

on my hands this Summer (too hot to go outside)! Agustin your English is

fine. I only wish my Spanish was half as good!</P>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Uh, I, too, understand very little of this roar. I simply wanted to say that this might not be a matter of operating the camera but about some lens-camera communication issue. Agustin's problem seems to be identical to mine in that regard but I should of course not take anything for granted. As far as semantics are concerned, maybe the fact that English is not my first language makes me use "lecture" in the wrong way? Some obviously react very strongly. Agustin: again, thanks for bringing this up. We'll sort it out.

This is most likely due to an exposure issue. On the 20D, if you do not have a properly exposed shot and the camera is in anything other than Manual mode, the button will be hard to press. You can take the shot, but it's the camera's way of letting you know you are taking a shot that is not exposed properly according to the camera. It's not broken.... I had to look this one up myself as well as I thought that there was an issue... no issue... it's a safeguard built in...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I just signed up on this site because of this post. I'm having the same problem with my 20D. I've had it for about 5 months and have taken over 5,100.

When I press my shutter button it will focus but when I press again to take the picture it doesn't take. I have to press extra hard to get the button to fire. I KNOW it's NOT a focus, exposure or lens problem as I have tried all settings & four different lenses.

Do you mind letting me know what the problem was? I have a feeling it's going to have to be sent into the shop.

Thank you,

Rebecca

Rebeccao@comcast.net (email)

• 3 weeks later...

This is a mechanical problem of shutter button. I took more than 23k pictures already with

my 20D and I have the same problem. It happened first time around 20k shoot. I was trying

to take apart my BG-E2 and my 20D so that I can get the shutter button from the grip which

works fine into the 20D. However, I only find the parts manual for 20D but not BG-E2. Also, I

am afraid to fuck up my 20D.....and I can't wait for the time if I ship my camera back to

Canon.......it ALWAYS takes long time.......