Now here's a thought to horrify purists -digital emulation of old lenses!

peter

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LensFix a PhotoShop plugin is able to correct some lens defects (distortions, vignetting, chromatic aberrations, etc.). They also have a database of corrections for various lenses. See, http://www.kekus.com/plugin/

What you are proposing is the reverse process. This should work except, I don't think you can adjust coma, blokeh, and depth of field. As well resolution can only be reduced. The reason for this was stated above you are limited by the information that is on the negative (or slide).

Dear Skeeter,

It's an interesting question about 'replicating', 'reproducing' or 're-creating' a particular effect. All seem to me to suggest doing it a different way -- whereas (unless, as I say, I misunderstood) the exhibition in question produces the old effects in exactly the same way as the originals, with the same lenses, processes, etc.

Cheers,

Roger

The time has come for education,folks.Particulary relevent to my new found mate,Roger Hicks.

Now,after sitting on the font of all knowledge for a while,it told me to post this digital photo. Different,yes. Very nice,yes.

Enjoy my friends....<div>00GLUW-29868284.jpg.ed64031d793ff7d315f31c95ce1d6d4d.jpg</div>

"The raw onion would of course be Spanish"

Pah! (Righteous splutter) The Onion would be English and preferably grown locally and bought fresh from a greengrocer or the farmer's market . Not out of any mis-placed Nationalistic sentiment but because it is obscene to burn jet fuel importing onions into a country that already grows fine onions and where farmers are having a hard time.

The beef would be fresh and organic from the local Q butcher....

http://www.guildofqbutchers.com/

Brad I like your effort very much. Which PS filters did you use? As some others have (kindly?) pointed out my original was not well exposed but yours looks to be a significant improvement and again to my way of looking at things has some elements of a photo taken with an old lens.

Dear Trevor,

No jet fuel at all!

Ideally the poor but honest Spanish onion-vendor would have bicycled at top speed from the Spanish onion fields and swum the channel with the onions around his neck. This is probably a counsel of perfection.

Otherwise a 40-tonne lorry full of onions would probably have gone from Santander to Plymouth (ferries are very 'green'). This seems to me the likeliest scenario from the number of Spanish fruit-and-veg-trucks on the roads of all Europe.

Third possibility: 'Spanish' onion is a generic term for large mild onions which can equally well be grown in Britain. No doubt you will be delighted to correct me on the last if I am wrong, which may well be the case. But the onion MUST be large and mild.

As for the organic beef, well, surely nothing else qualifies as 'beef'? Wherever possible I eat beef only from Duchy of Cornwall farms, which is why I eat so little beef in Gaul. Perhaps we should coin new terms: 'European Charollais-based beef substitute' or 'textured beef-type animal protein'.

Cheers,

Roger

I am not in the habit of making offensive postings but when some ignorant idiot directs an unsolicited and unprovoked offensive comment to me, I feel perfectly entitled to respond in kind. I am at a loss to understand how a few clowns feel that they can post and say anything they feel like on this forum. In my parlance they are sad little wannabes who should take their bat and ball and go home. This post had nothing to do with the quality of the photo I posted which in my original post I acknowledged was a poor example. If they bothered to read it before running off at the mouth, they would understand the topic is something different. If criticism is (a) asked for and (b) offerred constructively and politely say what you like, within boundaries. This was neither.

So I'm to assume that whatever Pico shoots with gives him the right to be not only rude but insulting? Must shoot Canon;-)

Seriously uncalled for and makes me wonder why somebody with so much hate directed towards people who own a particular camera brand would read a forum soley about that camera brand. Sadist, masochist or lonely?