Slightly OT: Somebody stop me, or at least find the flaw in my logic....

Just seeking input on some thoughts...

<P> Last year, I bought a studio's whole Hasselblad set up-- 503cx,

503cw with winder, 903SWC, Prisms, 60,80,120,150 lenses, filters,

tripod mounts, bellows, macro flash, ext tubes, all basically unused

in boxes. Also picked up a 30mm fisheye, and a Nikon LS 8000 scanner.

When all was said and done, I basically bought a huge lot, sold some,

ended up with everything described above for almost nothing.

<P>Since then, my 35mm set up- Leica MP, 50mm Black paint summilux,

leicavit, and CV 35mm f1.2, basically sits. Everytime I go out to

shoot something I think will be a keeper, its the MF stuff I take. Ive

made a few 24x24 prints, and I am still stunned.

<P> Its starting to feel insane to me to keep the Leica set up around,

when I shoot far fewer "street" type shots than I used to, and far

less low light than I used to. Ive owned a slew of M's, and after

selling them, always migrated back to them. Ive never held that Leica

lenses were the end all-be all, Ive always just liked the tactile

aspects of the M series. Looking through my negs, there are very few

shots that I got using my Leicas that would have been impossible with

other cameras.

<P> So, I have this creeping inclination to divest myself of the MP,

pick up a digital for light weight and fun stuff, continue to use the

'Blads for serious stuff, and maybe pick up a Rolleiflex just for the

sheer contrariness of it.

<P>Any thoughts?

I don't use my Leica stuff as often as I used to (when it was all I had) but I will NEVER sell

it. I, too, am getting more into MF but it is more as a substitute for the LF outfit which I

can no longer carry outdoors. Do buy the Rolleiflex, though. I love mine and would never

part with it. Logic never comes into these types of decisions. Follow your gut.

Bad move to sell Leica. First of all the lenses are much faster than anything you have for the Hasselbad. Secondly, the Leicas are better suited for portable and faster action settings. Hasselblads are biiger, hieavier, and slower in action. One day, you would miss the ability to take spontaneous pics without having to set up and plan each time. You can't beat Leica M for that.

Leicas are fun to shoot ... on the other hand, in my experience, digital cameras can be just

as much fun. I recently sold all my Leica stuff and got a D70 and a 17-35 2.8 lens. Not as

small, or tactile, or simple. But just as much fun. I'm shooting more now than ever before.

There are days when I miss the M6. But there are also days when I miss my Pentax K1000,

my old Mamiya C33, my FM2, etc., etc. As someone else said, if you have the money to

just buy more stuff, why sell the Leica gear? Whatever you decide, have fun.

Interesting to read about your predicament; I'm in the reverse situation. I have a Hassie, a Rolleiflex, a Canon 20D, well, you get the idea. What takes a ride with me all the time? My M6. Sometimes my Minox 35 or the R4 come along for a ride. My 10D used to be my standard carryout, and then the Hassie, but the M6 is the queen.<BR><BR>

I like all my cameras, I would not get rid of them unless I'm in an extremely tight financial situation; even then it would make little sense, the used Hasselblad market is a bit fluid, and digital cameras don't hold their original value after a few years.<BR><BR>

If you <i>really</i> want to get rid of your MP, I'll take it. I'll trade you two C12 backs for it. ;)

< Its starting to feel insane to me to keep the Leica set up around...>

It's obvious you need some help. So, I'll take the MP and Summilux off

your hands for US $39.99 plus shipping. After this transaction, you'll

feel liberated, sane and at ease with only your MF gear. Contact me ASAP.

Getting rid of such a beautiful camera and lenses would be a shame on the surface of it. But if you simply are not using it and prefer your Hassy for the "serious" stuff then what's the point of keeping it? One thing would be if you preferred the Leica to the Hassy for it's feel, it's use, the lenses, etc. But seems you get what you want and are quite happy with the Hassy. You've answered your own question it seems. Only reason you'll regret it is if you truly want to use it. But that is not coming through to me...

Marke, <p>I don't have a strong urge to direct you in one way or the other, just one or two thoughts after looking at the six pics you've uploaded (any website of yours you could lead us to?): the two pictures that most triggered my curiosity to see them large were the ones taken with Leicas. Maybe that's just me, but I think they are the more original ones. On the other hand, if I had a chance (or necessity) to shoot that kind of portraits that you are showing us as well, my MF gear would see much better use than it does. <p>For me it's a bit the other way round: MF sitting on the shelves and Leicas contending with digital for sheer portability. Far too much gear anyway... ;-) But my preferences come in waves, so I just can't part with any of it. <p>Just one more thought - why is it wrong to have money sitting on the shelves rather than losing quite some of it for a transitory change in taste? Explore the whole spectrum. Then, knowing your tools, select what's appropriate. Cheers.

" So, I have this creeping inclination to divest myself of the MP, pick up a digital for light weight and fun stuff..."

you'll probably find that you'll be increasing the amount of photography that you do if so. most do. get rid of the stuff that collects dust.

If you sell your Leica, what will you use for low light? Not that Leica is the only equipment one can use for low light, but based on your list, it is the only low light setup you have.

Btw. isn't the MP good for "light weight and fun stuff?"

If funds are light, sell your 35/1.2 or one of your unused blad lenses and pickup a DSLR kit. And, don't even think about selling the SWC.

Here's an idea: how about continuing to focus on your film work, keep what you've got and pick up some nice studio lighting???? IMO, that IS the hole in your setup.

>Everytime I go out to shoot something I think will be a keeper, its the MF stuff I take<

why in heck would you go out to shoot something you think won't be a keeper? Dude, none of what you said makes a lick of sense. It sounds like you like to horsetrade camera gear more than shoot. If thats it then why not go into bizness on eBay and make yourself happy you can buy and sell stuff all the time and never have to take a shot. Ain't no crime in that. But if you gotta aks strangers what gear you should use, you ain't taking enuf pix, period.

Sure Lutz,

<P>www.mdgfineart.com

<P>Yes, I know its not fine art. But the name has had an impact on people's response-- Including my first publication, in a real book, where the author contacted me, and asked for some shots to use. (Just got my hardcopy recently, very cool to open something and seemy own stuff).

always sell gear that you don't use. the money can be used better elsewhere AND the unused gear can be a distraction if you try to force yourself to find ways to use it.

perhaps you have always migrated back to leica for irrational reasons. i had a girlfriend that i kept migrating back to; happier once i called it quits for good. my wife was too. (just kidding!!)

sell the stuff.

This is a good time to dump everything, 'blad and all. Maybe get a 3.2MP digicam for fun.

Conserve all that cash for the impending PanLeicaSonic Mega-4/3 22MP rangefinder, the one with the zooming bright frame viewfinder and the pheremone emitter. Heck, get two while you're at it. Live large.

Djon