Which enlarger do you recommend

I am looking to purchase an enlarger. The one I am looking at right

now is the Beseler 23C II enlarger. The first question is anyone have

any problems that I should be aware about for this enlarger? Would

you recommend it for a beginner?

The other question is that it comes with two lenses.. the Rodenstock,

Omegar 50mm/ f4.0 and the Schneider Comparon, Durst 80mm/ f5.6...

Would you consider these lenses any good? or should I consider

purchasing another type of lens?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you! :-)

Justine, I do not think that is is the right forum for your request. May be somebody can

direct you to the right place. Anyway, it is refreshing to see in this forum somebody that

cares about REAL photography and not only ratings. I don not use an enlarger anymore, I

am moving my negatives to digital. Before that, I was happy with my Beseler and the

Schneider lens. Good luck.

The Besler 23C II is a very, very good enlarger. Not too many bells and whistles but a good solid performer. If you can get the owners manual with it do so -- I'm on my third one and I've never seen the manual but it could be helpful. Check the alignment carefully once you get it set up. Other than that you shouldn't have any problems. The lenses you list are probably good enough but you may want to look into some newer Schneider or Nikon lenses at some point.

"<i>... it is refreshing to see in this forum somebody that cares about REAL photography and not only ratings.</I><P>

Paolo,<BR>

Are you in the right forum, the Film and Processing forum? That is the first time I have ever seen the word "ratings" in this forum and it is the first time you have ever posted here.

James G. Dainis

Omegar, Comparon, and Durst lenses are all second rate.

The better versions of Omega lenses travel under their own name, which is Rodenstock. Comparon is Schneider's worst lens, you want Componon. Durst...who knows? Durst enlargers were the ultimate in many cases, but lenses sold under their name were cheapies.

Great enlarging lenses (eg Nikkor, Leitz) are so cheap now that you should make a point of getting the best...its' easy to see in prints.

The 23C is a great enlarger...almost impossible to do better unless you want something subtle, like a Leica or high end Durst.

Djon

It is built like a tank and easy to use ... don't pay more than 100-150 bucks for it if it is local and with shipping from some place pay under 200 they are cheap and plentyful because as someone in this thread said ... I am going digital with my negatives.... Paraphrased