how many digicams do you have, leica folks?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a "film only" guy, I just got my first one, a 7.1 meg Canon A620. I can set the aperture, shutter speed, and focus manually. It can set exposure comp in 1/3rd stop steps, flash on or off with both subtractive fill and second curtain sync. The LCD finder swings out to any angle making it a waste level type finder or for tripod mounted self portraits where you can see the composition while standing in front of the camera. The images on my computer at the highest resolution and largest image size look just as good as those from my Leicas and Nikons when I order the 10 Dollar image CD with my processing.

Best of all, I spent 300 Dollars for it, and shot a thousand images in 10 days... total cost 300 Dollars. I still think film is great, and will keep shooting it, but not pulling out the wallet when I feel like experimenting is quite liberating.

Albert said,

"Best of all, I spent 300 Dollars for it, and shot a thousand images in 10

days... total cost 300 Dollars. I still think film is great, and will keep

shooting it, but not pulling out the wallet when I feel like experimenting is

quite liberating."

Albert,

You pulled out your wallet in advance! :-)

Not too bad at $300, but to replace your Leica gear with something that will match it with

equal lenses, a $5,000 advance payment is necessary. With respect, a $300 digicam is

not adequate for serious shooting. You'll like it so much you will want a pro camera.

The convenience of digital creates a real opportunity that continually nags.

<< ... With respect, a $300 digicam is not adequate for serious shooting. ... >>

Now Gary, those are fightin' words :-)

If Al decides to put up some shots he took with that thing ...

Well, put it this way: you'll want to be sitting down, and you'll want a strong beverage nearby. Maybe two beverages.

After hurricane Wilma I was going to take the time to learn my new digi. The instructions started with something like "Plug in and give an intitial 8 hour charge..." I wasn't about to have power for 9 days!

Why can't they use AA batteries? My daughter in law has been using it. She's a feelance journalist and sometimes needs to shoot her own pictures.

D70, LX-1 (the panasonic D-Lux2), Coolpix 3700.

Zero Leicas at present, but still my dream to own one.

(Wow Travis, didn't expect you to have so many digicams)

"george b , may 08, 2006; 10:48 a.m.

What's a digicam?

George (The Old Fud)"

Not sure myself, but just got back from my Lab and the guy in front of me dropped the

contents of his into the machine - 2000 friggin' holiday snaps !!! All 5x7.

Same day service gone out the window. Doh.

Currently I have 1 digicam.

In the late 1990's I had 35mm film cameras. Then digital cameras hit the market and I dumped all of my film cameras and took the digital plunge. At one time, I had 6 digital cameras (of varied levels of resolution) and I thought that I had the world by the tail...right on the cutting edge of technology. I looked at those inkjet 8x10s from my 2Mp cameras and I thought "You can get any better than this!"

My collecting of digital cameras became a bit of a joke around the family but they appreciated seeing family shots posted on the web.

One day, my mother asked if I could take an old print and post it on the website so that relatives could see this last surviving copy of a picture. I had an HP flatbed scanner and so I scanned the print, cleaned it up and posted it along with my digital shots.

I started to get emails asking if I had bought 'another' camera because the last picture was 'so clear'. I looked and it was true, The scanned shot was better than the digital shots.

I got myself a small film scanner (HP Photosmart S20) and started to scan my old negatives and slides. The S20 was a 2400 dpi scanner which produces a 6Mp digital file from 35mm film. The 2Mp digital shots didn't measure up too well.

I went out and bought a cheap 35mm SLR (a Yashica 108) and was amazed at the first shots I got back. It wasn't long before I started to divest myself of my digital cameras. (I wasn't using them and they were expensive dust collectors.) I quickly found that depreciation on digital cameras is enormous and cameras that I paid $1000 for 3 years before were worth...nothing now.

Over time, I have largely reverted to 35mm film (with some MF classics). Recently, I have bought a digital camera again and I understand that there are times when film is best and there are times when digital is best. Yesterday, when I wanted to take pictures at a friend's birthday party, I took my rangefinder and not the digital.

Zero.

Tried it, and bailed out. The picture quality wasn't the problem (though I prefer the 'look'

from film) - it was the computerised process of the whole deal I couldn't take. Nothing

beats the tactile feel of holding trannies up to the light.