Reala + C-41 = Red Negatives?

I searched for comments, but found none, so I'm posting.

I just developed 4 rolls of film: 3 rolls of Fuji Superia and 1 roll of Fuji Reala. All were done in my CPE-2 at

the same time, and all rolls ラ except for the Reala ラ look great. The Reala negatives are MAJORLY green,

and when scanned, MAJORLY red.

It's C-41 film, the Superia processed at the same time looks great, so I have no idea what's up.

Any ideas?

Sounds alot like a light leak to me. Red is the color of the film base having light shined tyhrough it. That said I had a roll or two of reala turn out like that. It could just be that I left them in my Stylus Epic too long and got a gradual light leak, or it could be there was a bad film batch.

I'm not familiar with Superia and Reala, but does the Superia have some Infra-Red sensitivity and do you have an IR light source in your dark room? Or for that matter was there a small red LED in the darkroom with the Reala left open in the darkroom significantly longer than the other films? Fuji is a respectable company and bad batches are very unlikely. Radiation sources would affect other color layers as well and so it probably isn't that.

Another thought: Heat can do this- was there a chance the film was exposed to high heat? Who did you buy from - could it have been stored wrong before you bought it? I've bought in date film before that was bad from a small Ma and Pa tourist area store and I had this same effect. I should have got the hint since the cardboard roll box was washed-out from sunlight.

another question: The top of your scan has a clear area, is that scaneed area the edge of the film and is it clear film? Or is that some overscan remnant? If only the exposed area is affected and the edge markings are normal then perhaps it has to do with exposure somehow. Realy 50 had a reputaiion for very poor reciprocity failure with long exposure times as short as 1/4 minute. However, I believe that resulted in a green shift when the film was processed as a positive.

I'm at the office so I can't check, but I think this batch was expired by a few months. Maybe it

was bad? As for heat, I don't know because I bought it on eBay ラ though it was supposedly

stored properly.

The white part is just uncropped overscan ラ the whole length and width of the negative strip

is green, then red when scanned.

Reala has an extra cyan layer over normal C41, this may cause it to look different to other

C41 films.

Your scan looked over developed to me, just a guess but without seeing the negs I'd suggest

that is what happened.

But i've seen C41 with a overall green cast when exposed to formaldehyde fumes, while a

long shot this can give a very green looking rebate.

Wood restorers, varnish and polishers give off these fumes; it's probably not the case with

your film but is worth noting.

But if your negs look like you scan example it looks like over dev/exposure.

This is another example of why people should show the actual negative and not a scan/print. <I>"Your scan looked over developed to me..."</I> No, if the <I>negative </I>looked that dark then one could assume over development. Since the scan/print result that is shown appears dark, then one would assume the negative is very thin, caused by underdevelopment or underexposure. But we have to work from the negative, not backwards from the scan/print.
James G. Dainis

Ignore my first comment about IR sensitivity, I misstated Superia when I meant to type Reala. But in any case I have since looked at the published curves and IR sensitivity should not be a concern for IR sources in the darkroom. (I was thinking about another type of film.)

Of course, Superia is negative film while Reala is intended for E6, however a lot of people cross-process it in C41. While is shouldn't have a typical negative mask, it should have a clear base, not green. Some would point out that there is some concern about processing in the same chemistry as the films can affect each other, however that would only be minor effects just barely noticable if at all. The green sounds like storage problems to me and I hope you didn't buy a lot of this film.

I've bought bad film on ebay, but the seller never stated the experation date, he just stated in was frozen stored and expired. I was thinking a couple years out of date not 1981! Caveat Emptor.