Do you put on the rear lens cap after changing lens in the field?

nghi_hoang

I am curious about how other photographers handle the rear lens cap in

the field. I don't like cleaning rear element, so I put the rear lens

cap on on the lenses not in use whenever I change lens. However, this

slows me down. Do you leave the rear element exposed while the lens

is in your camera bag?

I have a (actually several) photo backpacks where it has a number of slots that you can put lenses in. Once I had a Nikon polarizer on my 24mm/f2.8 AF-D, which is a samll lens. I put the lens in one of the slots with the polarizer facing up. Since the lens is so small, it is not visible unless you are right on top of the backpack. Not realizing that I already had a lens in that slot, I put another lens in without the rear cap on. That second lens scratched the polarizer so bad that I had to buy another one. Well, at least I didn't damage a lens.

I agree that it is "suicide" not to.

I don't like cleaning lenses any more than absolutely necessary. And I especially hate the sickening feeling you get when something bumps the rear elements, or the front for that matter. It only takes a couple seconds to cover them, so I don't really notice the delay often. Maybe just personal preference, but when my lenses aren't covered I feel naked.

Yes its always best to protect your investment, even at the cost of a few seconds time!

If time is an issue, you can purchase several plastic snap on caps that just pushes onto the rear mount of the lens, I have several that are made of white almost see through plastic, and keep one handy for just such an occasion!

To remove it, I only have to use one hand, and its out of the way in a split second, and to install, its just as easy!

Must not be too many working PJs around here.

For the last 30+ years, when I enter the "shooting zone," I remove the rear caps, attach the lens hoods, and put the lenses into the pockets of my bag (Domke F2 for the last 20 years) rear-end-down. Each lens has its very own pocket that's never occupied by any other lens (no "hot pockets"). The lens caps are all "center pinch" type (Nikon, Minolta, Tamron style) that are easy to remove with the hoods on. Prior to the invention of the center-pinch hoods, I used elastic covers used by cooks for some purpose (I found them in kitchen stores--never knew what the kitchen purpose was). The bottom of the pocket protects the rear element (I vacuum it when I get home).

I can dismount a lens, drop it into its pocket, pull out another lens, mount it, remove the cap, and start shooting all while on the run, keeping my eyes on the subject, and never looking at either bag or camera.

There is no other way for a PJ to operate. Fumbling with excessive caps causes lost pictures. Taking your eyes off the subject causes lost pictures. Having to stop to change lenses causes lost pictures.

You have got to be kidding, unless you just won the lottery! It is like brushing your teeth every day...just do it. Putting on a rear cap slows one down....how fast does one need to be...I'm sure this is jus an excuse and a poor one at that.

I've just gone from having a single lens to having 3, in the last couple of months. So far, I've stuck to the habit of always rear-capping the lens as it comes off the body, plus front capping (over the installed uv filter). I also take along the body cap, just in case, but usually it's one lens off and another on right away.

Another good trick: have a glance at your camera strap ends with each lens change, and maybe sew or tape them down. Had one end of a new strap come away completely. Luckily, I was sitting down, and the body had no where to go.

with a digital system, ABSOLUTELY.

on the street, on the run, it won't slow you down with practice.

make it a part of your system. i'm a freelance photojournalist and part of my habit, even on the run, is to put that cover back. o well, maybe because i'm not a rich pj.............in my film days, i put the covers after a shoot or an assignment.

Kirk, I guess most of us just pay for own equipment and don't use company beaters.

It's not the shots that you "lose" that count, but the ones that you do get.

Personally I think it's pretty disrespectful of the efforts Nikon engineers and technicians put into lenses to treat lenses like that. If you only knew what kind of effort goes into making nice equipment.

<i>"If you only knew what kind of effort goes into making nice equipment."</i><p>Well, I know the effort that goes into <i>buying</i> nice equipment (at least from the standpoint of putting money away) so I always cap them. I don't shoot professionally, and made the mistake once of leaving a front cap off once when I was in too much of a hurry. The sound of the metal buckle of my Domke F2 hitting the front element wasn't pretty.

One more vote, especially with a DSLR! YES, ALWAYS USE A COVER (and keep your bag clean/vacuumed out)! (Had multiple exclamations but the forum software told me to calm down <grin>)

I very carefully pop off lens from camera (try to keep camera pointing downish), pop off rear cover put it on lens I removed, then put the new lens on the camera. Not bad with practice. So far, I have been blessed with no dust in the camera (Nikon D2X).

If I'm worried about being slowed down, I either make the time or stick with current lens and compromise. Lenses are wayyyyyyy to expensive to damage...

pat

To make it easier and faster, I took two rear caps and epoxied them base to base so that I could pull a lense from the case attach the one I am swapping to the open rear then take off the new lens. The convience is worth the extra cost. The guy that owned the local camera shop told me Leica used to do something like this.

Warren

I usually replace the rear cap when time permits - not always firmly but over the top.

It's really quite easy to use both hands, remove the rear cap loosely from the "new" lens with one hand & flip it over to the "old" lens & slip it on with the other hand while placing the new lens on the body - two ball juggling so to speak but simple once you get used to it.

What you might like is the early FB(?) bags that were leather with lens mounts built into the base for quick release & replacement. Nice touch from Nikon a few years ago & I had one that my father had given me & I sort of grew up with it - with my son now.

Good Luck

I always replace the cover --- except when I dont.

Like Lee said a proper system bag is required, but when I am shooting heavily lenscaps are fiddly things that cost me time and shots.

ILKKA:

Its not the shots you miss that you get paid for. Its the shots you GET!

For the record I work for myself and I buy my own gear. My choosen line of photography is very close to PJ style as I have to capture the moment ( rock concerts). Which I why I carry at least two cameras - each with a different lens mounted.

Shooting Rock and Rollers requires that you be constantly moving and anticpating as ANYTHING can and usaually does happen. I get paid to get the shot of that "Anything"

i'd put on the rear lens cap immediately after changing lens (to me more important than front lens cap since i've filters :D ). some lens the rear elements is not recessive and not protected by the barrel (like 85 1.4) so to me it's a must to put on the lens cap immediately. for some zoom lens, no rear lens cap seems means dust can go inside the lens easily.