D1H Error displays ERR and fires three frames...Help

michaelb

Hi

I was out shooting a couple of months ago and My D1H started fireing three

frames after one shutter release. It will not put the images on the card as

well. Has anyone else had this problem. I am nervous about taking it to nikon

as it is probobley not worth fixing. I was going to sell it for parts unless

someone has an idea of what the problem is....

Thanks

Michael

How about white balance bracketing?

Have you tried removing the battery and keeping it out for a while (an hour) and then trying again with a fully charged battery? Do a hard reset before you do.

I'm sort of guessing here !

Nick and Karim thanks for the ideas I have tried both of these to no avail. I also have a D100 and D2Hs and all of the cards work fine in these two cameras. I also tried shooting with no card one push on the shutter in any shooting mode results in three frames being fired.

My D1 has done the same thing from time to time and as Mark Dunker says, its the shutter acting up. However, I have found I have this problem also happens when one of the following conditions occur:

1.)When my batteries get low on charge;

2.) Static buildup on battery when chaging;

3.) The Dew Point is in single digits and the Relative Humidity is super Low. By the way I live in the Texas Panhandle and it does get really dry from time to time.

I can put the camera down for a while, a hour or two to several days, and it will start working again until the above conditions show up again and the shutter goes nuts. I have changed the battery to one fresh off the charger after a Refresh Cycle and things work like they should. Also, the dreaded static buildup while swapping batteries, can be easily be fixed by wiping the battery down with a semi damp cloth to remove the static build up. I have to wipe a damp cloth down the face of an Amp Meter to remove the static build up after pulling it from its case, especially on days of extremely dry conditions. Last I had heard, shutter replacement was an $800.00 ordeal that had to be done through Nikon East or West Service centers in the US. That and be without your camera for up to 2 months.

Before you shell out the bucks and ship your D1H off, try a few of the things I have done to see it they work for you. If the camera is your bread and butter, then you should get it fixed or get another body.

My $0.02, but there is a $1.98 consulting fee and claims on your first born fuel ser charge attached.

If you have checked the battery and you're operating under normal temperature and humidity conditions, I'd say check your shutter.

Take a look at your shutter blades. If you see some dark marks, gunk and signs of wear where the blade hinges are, it's a hint that you're up to a shutter replacement -- I read that somewhere some time ago, I wasn't able to dig up the reference.

Alex and Charlie i fear that you both have a valid point. My faithfull old D1H is on the auction block for parts. It was my bread and butter camera up untill I got my new D2Hs last fall but I still will look for a used D1H or D1X as I shoot a lot of Moto Cross and ATV racing. The conditions are bad at best. Thank you all for your replies. The old brute does not owe me a thing I bought it used three years ago and it has earned a lot of money for me over that time period.

Cheers

Michael