RD-2 Specification

AFAIK it is a firmware upgrade, at least all that is significant, which will be offered this summer for the RD-1 as well. And also AFAIK the RD-1s is not planned for import to the USA. The supposed price drop is a marketing manoever, ostensibly due to the inventory on hand and the impending release of the Leica M8. Right now an MP is $3500 and an R2A (the platform on which the RD-1 is based)is about one-sixth of that cost. Assuming the M8 will cost roughly $6000, then the RD-1's perceived value should logically be around $1000. And remember, with the same kind of film an MP and and R2A can produce the same resolution, but the M8 @ 10MP is a 40% gain over the RD-1 @ 6MP, not to mention the other, equally important parameters of digital imaging quality. That relative equation of price probably precludes an RD-2.

At the reduced price of approx $1,000 the RD-1, whether the basic version or an RD-1s, becomes good value, especially relative to the expected cost and feautures of a digital M. Comparing feature-for-feature, with the sensor size being the most important, I'd be a buyer of the RD-1. I would bet the reduced price RD-1 will sell better once the digital M comes out than it ever did when it was the only M-Mount digital rangefinder. At that level, I bet it'll cannibalize Digital M sales enough to hurt Leica.

I have a Popular Photography review of the R-D1. Michael McNamara concludes that despite its overall good performance, the " . . . Nikon D70 delivers overall better image quality." He adds, "But for a camera you buy with your head, the RD-1 would have to cost half as much or give you much higher image quality."

And I agree. I think I would pay $1500 for one. If I could get one for $1200, I wouldn't hesitate. But I could get a D70 for, I think around $700 these days. Whether I need either is another matter.

I haven't heard much about an R-D2 either, other than a firm ware upgrade for the R-D1. They do have a lot of those sitting around collecting dust too.

In fact, I think the reason that Epson has a bunch of R-D1 bodies on their shelves pretty simple. I know, at least, that it kept me from buying one: they had horrible quality control issues. The rangefinder forum has a whole standing thread that is totally dedicated to the problems with the camera. Some folks didn't get their problems resolved even after several trips back to the factory and/or several body replacements. For a camera that cost $3,000.00 (or even $2,000.00 or less) that is simply inexcusable.

All that is really too bad too. I thought it was a good design and I enjoyed handling the few R-D1 cameras I saw in person. Plus, with Leica's future offering hovering around $5K I think there is market. Alas, the market wasn't the problem. The quality was.

Just my $.02.

Frank Farmer