Which Digi SLR should I go for?

Swarnedu, there are several great reviews on the net for each of the cameras listed. Compare each camera's strong points with the type of images you're interested in capturing (portraits, sports photography, etc...) Definately compare the cost of lenses, batteries, and other accessories for each model.

For a couple hundred more I really like the Canon 20D ($1100 ish) over any camera listed thus far. But I'm just looking for a reason and "a couple hundred more" to upgrade to the Canon 30D. So it goes. Enjoy!

Dale,

I bought one Pentax DS body for $600 and the second for $550. I'd count the price

advantage as bit more than

just "a couple of hundred dollars". The Canon 20D is a great camera, but it is double the

price of the Pentax DS ... That said, the 20D is also an excellent body; I have a 10D

too and even it is no slouch.

The one area where the DS is technically superior to even the 20D is in the viewfinder. My

friends with the 20D all remark on how much nicer the Pentax viewfinder is every time

they look through it. It's larger and brighter, and it's easier to use when focusing manually.

That means a lot to someone who might have older, manual focus lenses to work with.

Godfrey

The only "problem" with the Pentax recommendations is that it's only 6MP while the 350D and equivalent are 8MP. Buying a new DSLR with a 6MP sensor is already going back in time three years.

I still shoot (and print) a lot of stuff with a 6MP Canon 10D but would not "replace it" with a similar sized sensor as the Pentax has, and still just 6MP. All the best APS sensor cameras are 8 and 10MP now with superb quality.

However, if you never print larger than 8x10 inches than 6MP is more than sufficient.

Not knowing exactly of your shooting preferences, I'd say in general, you'd be happy with either a Canon 350D (a bit more MP, but smallish body,) or D70s (very nice handling for camera of this range.) BTW, you have good, artistic sense based on your portfolio. Good luck.

Just a note-- megapixels have very little to do with print size, when comparing 6 versus 8 on a DSLR. (Unless you plan on making posters, and billboards, consistantly.) My boss, two co-workers, and I all own the Nikon D70 and have printed 16x20s on a regular basis. We also have a 24x36 in our store that looks wonderful. (Keep in mind you don't put your nose to a print that size lol.)

I would vote Nikon, but I'm biased. The pentax is also very nice, but their lenses are not as readily available in the masses that canon and nikon have..

Honestly, you cannot go wrong with either of the two cameras you are debating between. It's all about personal preference.

<i>Ken Papai: <br>

> The only "problem" with the Pentax recommendations is that it's<br>

> only 6MP while the 350D and equivalent are 8MP. Buying a new DSLR<br>

> with a 6MP sensor is already going back in time three years.<br>

> <br>

> I still shoot (and print) a lot of stuff with a 6MP Canon 10D but<br>

> would not "replace it" with a similar sized sensor as the Pentax<br>

> has, and still just 6MP. All the best APS sensor cameras are 8<br>

> and 10MP now with superb quality.<br>

> <br>

> However, if you never print larger than 8x10 inches than 6MP is<br>

> more than sufficient.</i>

<br>

<br>

I dunno, Ken. I'm having no problem making 11x14 to 13x19 prints that are getting very

good comments from the gallery with the Pentax *ist DS body. AND if you really really

need more pixels, the 10Mpixel Pentax body will be out in the Fall. <br>

<br>

There is a difference .. yes, I can see it too, I have a 10Mpixel camera too .. but the issue is

not so cut and dried as you make it seem. Good lenses, rendering qualities, etc. mean

much more than the difference between 6 and 8 Mpixels, or even 6 and 10. Not to

mention that the vast majority of people only very seldom make prints much greater than

5x7 to 8x12 in size. <br>

<br>

Godfrey<br>

The Pentax *ist DS. While I would not mind if it were 8megs, at normal inkjet printer print sizes up to 13X19, the difference between 6 and 8 megs is hardly worth considering. vs 10 megs, perhaps, but 8 megs no, IMO. Good lenses count for a lot, and a good viewfinder can enable better framing, thus less cropping, in addition to easier manual focussing.

Subjectively I like the *ist DS also for it's well thought out and no-nonsense design and feature set and small size, plus I favor its build quality over that of the 350D. The 350D though a nice small body still requires the larger Canon lenses. After replacing my 10D with the *ist DS, I was immediately struck by how much I preferred the images, no doubt more due to the lenses than the bodies, again just a subjective preference.

Personally, I think you should give serious consideration to the Olympus Evolt E-500. 8mp and built from the ground up as a digital camera. PLUS - Olympus claims to have the largest selection of lenses specifically formulated for digital. The two-lens kit - 14-45 zoom and 40-150 zoom plus body - lists at USD899. Compared to the Canon 20D or 30D, you have 95% of the camera for a little more than half the price. The reviews of the Evolt have been favorable, although some don't like the focus-by-wire feature of those digital lenses mentioned above.

Lou