Polaroid Dry Transfers

Hi there,

I used a vivitar slide printer to print some of my existing slides on Polaroid 669 film in order to transfer

them on paper (dry transfers) I followed the instructions showed on this website:

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/pola2.html

..but everytime I transfered the "negative" (the dark sheet, right?) the image never shows.. either too dark,

or pigmented, or too dull.

what can I do to have a successful attempt at dry image transfers?

Please help

Read "Polaroid Transfers: A Complete Visual Guide to Creating Image and Emulsion Transfers" by Kathleen Carr. She goes into great detail on the process and how to troubleshoot problems. Also, Ann is right on the money with the flat look info. Polaroids lose their glossy appearance on most papers. Try using a plate or smooth finish paper for the receiving paper to get some of it back, but you will always loose some of the gloss no matter what you use.

- Randy

In the mean time, try not doing this dry. Put the negative on the paper firmly and then submerge the pair in water when it comes time to peel them apart. Go very slowly and make sure that all material is under water the whole time. This will lessen the amount of peel-off of the emulsion and make the whole process go smoother. Dry transfering is more difficult and in my experience always has more emulsion loss than wet transfers.

- Randy

thanks guys..

Randy, it's not the gloss that i'm worried about.. its the fact that i have "no" image, nothing..

nada.. zip. I tried using the same exposure & left it to develope the normal way, and the

exposure looked good, the images looked fine too.. but when transfered to paper, they look

dark, very dark.. and the images look like a negative print.. (i.e. black hair shows as

white, ...white socks show as black)

Why don't you cross reference the Silverprint instructions with those on the Polaroid website.

Go to the main Polaroid site click on the creative tab and listed on the left is image transfers.

My workflow starts with soaking the watercolour paper first, squeegee to remove the excess

water and leave for 30mins so the paper is just damp. Then follow the instructions on the

Polaroid site. Transfers can be very frustrating to start with but persevere and you will get the

rewards.

Paul

The most recommended substrate to begin with is watercolour paper. Once you have

perfected the technique you can use anything that takes you fancy. I know someone who

prints on wood! I've tried printing on brown parcel paper which also gives on interesting

effect. Be prepared to use a couple of packs of 669 getting the technique right.

There is also a downloadable PDF document all about Polaroid transfers at

http://www.pacificsites.com/~hdupre/

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
Banoota - another recommendation, that may be mentioned in the sources you've been linked to - is to use a 1:4 vinegar bath. It markedly brightens reds, as well as improves other colours some....Another thing to try is to gently rub off the leftover sticky emulsion under water - I like to experiment with removing only parts of that for a more 3-D effect. You can also lighten specific areas of the print with a vinegar dilution and a Q-tip (make sure to wash well afterwards). There are a lot of fun techniques to try with this medium (including scanning, printing on watercolour paper and then using a <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/2571487">wet watercolour brush</a> on the print) - best of luck to you!