Hasselblad 120mm vs 135mm for Nature Macro

larry_menzin

Is there any advantage to using the Zeiss 135mm Makro Planar lens

with bellows or extension tubse versus using the 120mm Makro with

tubes? I don't think I need to get to 1:1 but perhaps 1:2. I have

seen and read very little about the 135mm lens, but am wondering

whether it is worth getting to supplement my 120mm Makro. Has anyone

used the 135mm?

I've used the 135 on bellows, and own the 120. They're both great lenses, but bellows add a lot of time and weight to the process. Both are razor sharp lenses, but I believe the 120 is a bit more versatile, and for most nature shots, it focuses pretty close. For the rest, a single extension tube would do most of what you probably want.

Another interesting contraption I've seen is on eBay. It's a $299 helicoil that fits between lens and body and is like a variable length extension tube. I haven't looked into it enough, but I doubt it would let you focus back to infinity.

I did buy (but have not yet received) the Hassy variable extension tube. It would basically turn the 135mm into a clone of the 120mm with infinity focus and 21mm of extension. Using this outfit, I would add another tube (56) for closer focus. Or I could just use the variable tube with the 120mm for closer focus. The only advantage would be a little extra reach with the 135mm. My take on this is that the 120mm and 135mm with variable tube are duplicative. Am I wrong?

The discontinued 135 Makro lens will focus to infinity on certain bellows, whereas with a lens with a conventional mount, like the CF120/4 Makro, sees a minimum 60mm extension. Because it has no focusing mount (and has a longer focal length), the same extension has less effect with the 135 than the 120.

If you need 1:1 magnification with a 120 Makro, then the bellows is probably the way to go, or the variable extension tube. In my experience, 1:1 is seldom needed in nature photography, but YMMV. I find a set of extension tubes is sufficient, and much easier to handle in the field than bellows.