Community member page : category of critique request is visible

yann_r.

On each community member page, it's now possible to see in which

category a member requested for critique. It's a very good and useful

improvement.<p>

What about making this category also visible in the rate/recent page?

When I don't choose to browse a category, all categories are mixed but

not known. Could it be useful as well?

The simple answer is 'yes'.

But they taught me in law school a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer without an explanation is a failing answer, no matter what -- one looks for reasons.

Sometimes I wonder why someone posted a certain photo, and if it's got a clue, say it's posted as 'nature', 'street' or 'concert' I might have some vital clues as to why it was deemed worthy of posting, particularly if it does not fall into the traditional 'pretty photo' or 'artistic photo' categories.

I post a lot of 'street' photos, and I think people looking at them expect to find lots of 'pretty' stuff, and end up getting very disappointed, which is all wrong -- 'street' photos aren't about seeing 'pretty' things all the time, though some have very nice aesthetics to them -- more will make you think and those who are not into more than light thinking maybe will have a tougher time with 'street' photos, both with understanding and appreciating them, so if a photo is marked 'street' maybe they will want to 'steer clear' of such offerings, unless such a photo has a very pleasing aesthetic.

I often post photos and get a run from 3/3 to a smattering of 7s (until lately when 7s seem out of favor) because feelings are quite ill-defined about such photography, whether in black and white or color, and there are few who are well-read on the subject; plus some of Photo.net's best artists in that genre have found greener pastures, regrettably.

I like it here, and it will help my critiquing others' work to know what category also they posted it in.

(there, an explanation)

John (Crosley)

I would very much like to see the category displayed on the rate recent page, I think that sometimes it aids greatly with how we view an image. I also believe that some truly great images speak for themselves - but I see nothing wrong with giving a helping hand to the viewer.

John, you wrote that street photos require more than light thought, and I believe you are correct 'by and large', but I also believe what I stated above. The 'by and large' for me comes into play with photographs which are visual conundrums or puzzles (much of your work falls into this paradigm), and whilst I agree that the viewer must give these types of photo more thought, I think that those who are incapable or unwilling to 'invest the watts' will not alter their rating methodology purely because the street category is clearly visible. Perhaps it may have some effect with those who are at neither extreme.

It's a pickle isn't it.

this is the second post about this topic recently and i totally agree with everything said

here.

i've wondered for a while why the categories were not shown in the rate recent section. it

would help me to understand the photographer's intention or simply how they view their

image and would like to see it viewed. as someone who leans towards abstracts (which is a

fuzzy category sometimes), it would influence my rate if i think that an image fits or

doesn't belong.( how many "macros" are posted that were taken 3 feet away and certainly

not qualified as a macro?)

now, some may say that a photo should stand on it's own merit. i don't disagree, but this

simple improvement will help and certainly not hinder. maybe more accurate rates will be

given out as the raters will have a better take on what the photographer is trying to

project.