Tokina 19-35 vs Canon 20-35 lenses

michael_g.

There's 2 versions of the Canon 20-35, f2.8L & f3.5-4.5 USM. The f2.8L version was discontinued and replaced by the 17-35/2.8L.

The Tokina 19-35 is the same as the Cosina, Vivitar, Pheonix etc. So you can look up reviews under the other names as well.

Personally, I just picked up a Sigma 20-40/2.8 . It's huge (82mm filter), but light and the f2.8 aperture range thruout makes it very nice for indoors. It's going for $249- @ Cameta.

Not sure how similar the Tamron 19-35 is to the Tokina, but I just got mine for $120 from KEH (used of course). I use it on my 20D and my Elan 7N. The auto focus is a little slower and louder than on my Canon EF 28-105mm f3.5-f4.5 USM lens, but for the price I am happy with it. My goal is the 17-40 f4L - this will tie me over until then.

No experience with the Tokina 19-35, but the Canon 20-35mm non L version is a very good lens (for its price). Compared to 17-40 f/4 L, it has a higher CA and slightly less vibrant colors. It is one of the those few Canon lenses that performs better than its price.