Wich lenses for portrait/perspective

daniel_venosa

Hi Daniel, just some thoughts:

The 80mm is a tad wide, but I use it for informal portraits all the time. The 150mm is technically a better portrait lens, but it requires some working distance that my small studio doesn't really allow me.

The 120mm is an outstanding length, but is extremely sharp close up, which some people don't like. I've found this to be useful as well as annoying, but it can be corrected by modify focus slightly, opening the aperture, or use a softar with it. It is also very versatile. The 100mm is not a bad lens either because it is not super-sharp close up, but is at infinity. I would say my choice would have to do more with shooting distance and studio size than a technical discussion of the 80 or 150.

Also, you shouldn't need an extension tube on the 80mm to do portraiture. You're good to about 3'.

The best portraitist I've personally known used an 80mm on her Hassy exclusively. Art directors seemed to love it -- she was requested and published nationally. I prefer the look the 80mm gives -- more 3 dimensional feel to the image. The 150mm feels too flat to me because of the diminished depth of field. Either will do, but the 80mm will be more versatile. YMMV.

Probably any of this lenses would be good for me, hehehehe....unfortunely I dont have the

cash!

Im planning to do a series of portraits of the best contemporary artists and marchants in

Brazil. I think that the 80mm is gonna suit me a little bit better, but I still think I would like to

do close-ups of their faces...and good sharpness is not a problem for me, I want it to be

really sharp. Im thinking about making 30'30' prints, is that possible with MF?

Thanks agaain for all responses!

It all depends on whether you want environmental, full-body, half-body, head-and-shoulders, or head-only portraits. Opinions differ, but to me, an 80mm lens on a 6x6, when used for head-and-shoulders or head-only portraits, is a 'witch lens'--it often makes the nose look big etc. But the key, really, is camera-to-subject distance. In my view, the best distance is usually 6 to 10 ft (about 2-3 m). Given that, for a 6x6 I would prefer: environmental - 40 to 80 mm lens

full-body - 50 to 80 mm lens; half-body - 80 to 150 mm lens; head-and-shoulders - 120 to 225 mm lens; and head-only - 200 to 350 mm lens. I am sure some people will say that shorter lenses are okay for tight portraits, that you can fix the problems with lighting, etc. Well, they are entitled to their opinions; what makes a pleasing portrait is in large part a matter of taste. And indeed you can use a shorter lens IF you are willing to maintain the minimum subject-to-camera distance (about 6 ft / 2 m) and crop a lot, but that defeats the point of using a 6x6.

If your budget is tight you may want to consider something else than Hasselblad. The basic kit is affordable, but the additional lenses are a different story.

Since you are going to print 30"x30" you cannot afford to lose anything to cropping. On the other hand, 150mm lens may not be suitable for location portaiture, where you may need something wider. 80mm is a better all-around lens, but you may find it a little short for portraits.

For portraits I could not work without the 150mm.I even use it for full length bridal portraits.The 150mm outside at f5.6-f8 will give the soft backgrounds that puts attention back on the subject.

I Have the 38mm,50mm 80mm 120mm,150mm, as I said if I could only have one lens for (portraits) it would be the 150mm.

If budget is a concern, and obviously it is, consider a Bronica SQ-A. You could afford several backs and 3 lenses for the price of the Hasselblad kit, and you'd never know the difference in quality.

On my Hassey 503CW, the 80mm is a general all purpose lens, which I use for most occasions. When it comes to specifically portraits (head shots, half length, and 3/4 length), I use the 150mm. For full body length, I can use the 80mm or the 150mm(standing at a distance)

I would also check online with KEH. Call them and ask about the item. They'll give you an

accurate description. Their BGN rating can sometimes get you an excellent piece of gear at a

VERY good price, and their service is excellent.