FS: 5string banjo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Al, I'm surprised you know who Frank Profitt (with 2 t's) is. Knowledge gained from your

sixties folk music period? Frank made banjos with tiny rims and some kind of small circle

of animal hide for the head. He sold them for $60. A few years ago a friend bought a

Profitt-made banjo for something like a thousand dollars.

Ed, I was afraid that I might be the ONLY one here who knew who Frank Profitt was. You're right about the two T's. One of the Foxfire books had directions for making a fretless mountain banjo. Supposedly to be true to the original 'possum hide was what you used, but house cat hide has good tone also. I made a banjo back in the early 70's, never got very good at playing it, and gave it to my son a dozen or so years ago. I have a Folkways record or two with Frank playing and singing. $60 was a decent week's wages for a lot of folks back then. Frank was hardly giving them away!

<i>Taurus: What is the F stop in the front windshield? </i>Front windshield? The description for the car states feel the freedom of the wind blowing through your hair. FYI � the bridge is being held up in customs, at Calexico. Expect delivery only after all the illegal aliens have used it to cross into beautiful San Diego.