jeroen_b1

hello Pentax group,

Today I have digged up my mothers *mint* Pentax MG with a SMC Pentax M 50mm f/2

lens. I don't know anything about old pentax lenses. The MG is a little bit

simplistic, only Aperture mode. Meter-compensation by turning the ASA wheel, no

exposure lock or stuff like that.

I do have some Minolta camera's, MF: X-500, XD-7 and AF: 7000, 600SI, 800SI and

a closet full with zoom-lenses and primes. It seems almost impossible to find

normal priced 85mm and 100mm lenses for my Minolta camera's, so I am thinking to

get these "missing" primes for the Pentax.

My question: is it possible to get a used good sharp 85mm or 100mm lens for this

camera, (brand, type and f/value) and what would a resonable price be? Maybe a

50mmn f/1.4 lens is also nice to have for this camera, to get a complete set of

primes.

thanks & bye,

Jeroen

Well...after some searching for second hand stuff from photostores, local 2-hand internet market and Ebay it seems that 85's and 100mm K/A lenses are rare & expensive!

The 50mm f/1.4 has almost the same price as a Minolta MD lens. 135mm lenses are available, but I have two 135's already (MF and AF), so I don't think I will get one.

Only interesting I have found at this moment is a 90mm Vivitar (macro) in not so good shape, maybe that could be a nice couple with a 50mm f/1.7 K or A lens (f/1.4 is too high priced).

Hi ,, the original pentax lenses from that period , will cost you much more that the camera ! an MG can be bought for 10 to 20 euro. but a 85 or 100mm close to 100 (on e bay int. sales),, since your location is good for this site ,

http://www.marktplaats.nl/

I sugest that you keep an eye on the analog pentax sales section,, nice stuff turns up there , perhaps up grade to a pentax ME super ? you can get those for about 20,- euros there !

Hi Jeroen.

Of course it matters quite a lot what you think 'cheap' is, but one great addition to those of the shallow wallet and access to Pentax equipment is to get a 'screw to K mount' adaptor. They usually cost about $20. Then I would recommend the Russian Juptier (8 or 9, can't recall which) 85mm f2 lens for about $40 (that's new!). It is a very nice lens optically with excellent brokeh, although a little stiff to turn. If you want something faster and MUCH larger, the Russian/Ukranian Helios 85mm f1.4 sells for about $250. Pentax has many fine lenses in the 85mm range that typically run in the $200-$1200 range, the cheaper being many of the excellent Takumar (screw mount) offerings.

There are quite a few more offerings in the 100mm range, including at least 6 macro lenses (just Pentax K mount!) in this range. If you are NOT interested in a macro lenses then I would keep an eye out for the old Pentax 100 f2.8 M lens, very small and it will balance nicely on the MG body. To look at what Pentax has to offer in just K mount check out the following page:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/

Another good alternative lens to consider is the Tamron Adaptol 90mm f2.5/2.8 lenses. Great deals and excellent optics to boot. Further you can always change mounts and use it on your older Minolta bodies.

Now I have a problem situation: a nice offer for a Pentax M 100mm f/2.8 + M 50mm f/1.7 (nice combo), or a Minolta MD 100mm f/2.5, same price.

Difficult! what to do... My Minolta camera's are a bit better than the MG (the XD-7 has exposure compensation, and the X-500 has a exposure lock). Buying a ME super is also tempting, but I have 5 analog camera's already....

Yes, I agree it's a bit strange to invest in lenses for the MG. I would love to do it, but I cannot justify it.

So no deal, no Pentax. Maybe I will shoot a roll of film with the MG+50mm f/2.0 in the city where I live to see what the picture quality will be.

Thanks all of you for your anwers!