Hi, I bought a very nice 553 ELX today for 200 euro's including

current type waist level finder and what looks like an acute matte

focusing screen. I can't identify this type of screen however. It is

clear, in the centre there is a very clear circle that bulges

upwards from the screen. Does anybody know what kind of screen this

is?

Thanks, Frank

Frank,

You bought that 553ELX for a very goos price. The installed screen is an older pre-Acute-Matte screen that has the "magnifying bubble" center. Its brighter then the older glass screens, but nothing near the original Acute-Matte Screen and the also the newest Acute-Matte screen.

I believe that you have the Bright-matte focusing screen installed currently in your 553ELX. If you find it a bit too dim, I suggest looking for an acute-Matte screen to test out the difference. That might help you determine the best screen for your needs.

That's a very fast answer, thanks. It looks indeed as if the bubble magnifies. I have an acute matte d screen in my other camera and will compare them. Indeed, the screen is not that bright compared to the bubble which is very bright. It does have a grid so it might come in handy from time to time.

Thanks again, Frank

Frank

Originally the 553ELX came with an ACUTE MATTE screen . That of course , does not mean

, that your 553ELX was given to you with the original screen . There are 2 different ACUTE

MATTE screen types available . The first serie is not so easy to recognize . The ACUTE

MATTE D serie , which is the current serie , has two little bumps in the aluminium frame .

But all ACUTE MATTE screens have either a cross in the center or a grid or a combination

with a split image rangefinder and a metering circle of different size , for the different

models or metering devices . Go to the HASSELBLAD homepage and download the V-

SYSTEM catalogue . Here you will find a good description of the current screens .

Your screen is obviously not an ACUTE MATTE and by your description of the "clear circle"

i assume that this is a split image rangefinder . It looks as if it is the 42188 screen , which

was introduced in 1971 . If this answer is not satisfying , come back with more details .